Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:42 PM   #1

I have just acquired a 100-400. I usually tote my 30D over my shoulder but I am concerned as to whether the mounts on the lens and camera are strong enough to allow me to do this. Any thoughts or experience gratefully received.

regards

stepheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:04 PM   #2

Not sure how big the 100-400 is, but I carry my large lenses by their tripod collar with the camera attached.
If you are using a tripod the lens/camera combination should be mounted using the lenses tripod collar.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:09 AM   #3

Thanks for your input, Peter.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:10 AM   #4

I've used that lens with a 10D and never was comfortable carrying it without holding it by the lens. The 100-400 is not a lightweight lens. If you insiston trying to carry it that way, just make sure to tighten that zoom lock so it doesn't trombone on you!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:29 PM   #5

Thanks Greg - it is a heavy lens, probably using the tripod collar is the best way.

regards

Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:56 AM   #6

stepheno wrote:
Quote:
I have just acquired a 100-400. I usually tote my 30D over my shoulder but I am concerned as to whether the mounts on the lens and camera are strong enough to allow me to do this. Any thoughts or experience gratefully received.

regards

I've hung the Bigma, 100-400 or 400 5.6L on a 300D, 350D or 20D using the camera's strap, sometimes even with a TC. The mount is strong enough to take the heaviest of the three (Bigma) even in long hikes.

Romy

liquidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:14 PM   #7

I usually carry the combo by the lens foot of the 100-400L but I do let it hang by the camera strap when I am using my 10d & wideangle. When lens is hanging down, it doesn't put that much pressure on the mount. People hang much bigger lenses than 100-400L all the time. Now if you were to bring up your camera to eye level, holding the camera body, then defnitely you putting a lot of pressure on the mount.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:33 PM   #8

I use a wheelbarrow with my 80-400. :blah: Actually, if I am carrying my 20D with the Sigma mounted, I usually cup my hand around the lens cap.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote