Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:50 PM   #1

Just bought the XTi and two sigma lenses to go with it. I am a newbie so I didn't want to spend a fortune and got the Sigma 28-70mm F2.8-4and Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 Macro. I was playing around with the camera andthe two lenses for a couple of minutes and on both lenses locked up on me when trying to adjust them. Am I doing something wrong? Both came "unlocked" with me playing around with them. Any help would be appreciated. Want to make sure I didn't get defective merchandise.

sapro11

sapro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:56 AM   #2

It's highly unlikely that two different lenses would both be defective with the same problem. It's much more likely that your 'playing around' caused them to lock.
Were you trying to manually focus with the Autofocus swich locked ?
My advice would be to first read the manual a couple of times to familiarise yourself with the lens controls.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:04 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Glad you are in the Canon club but more importantly for photographic development welcome to the dSLR club!!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What do you mean by the lenses lockup on you? Is it the zoom, focus, shuts camera down????
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:18 AM   #4

What I mean by "locked up" was that I couldn't adjust the lenses. They were stuck in one postion ( i think it was 150mm or so on the zoom). I was on auto foucus, but I was trying to adjust the lenses using the "course adjustment" that I thought you could use while on auto. I read the manual and I know you are not supposed to touch the "fine" adjustment (only in manual mode). I worked them free and haven't had the problem since, but I think the zoom locked up on me becasue I was playing around with the macro function, but I have no idea why the smaller lens would have locked up on me. I was also playing around and trying to get familiar with all of the "shooting modes" on the dial, so maybe I adjusted something I shouldn't have? I have yet to read the entire manual due to limited time with life being so crazy right now with it being the holidays and having a a 8 month old. Just thought maybe I could get an answer from people with experience rather than from a manual.

Sapro11
sapro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:07 PM   #5
Super Moderator

That makes sense the macro option would lock a lens in position or within a set range (this is usually on things like the Sigma and Tamron 70-300mm lenses). Not sure what could have happened on the smaller one though.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Keep on playing but it is worth having a quick flick through the manual just to make sure you don't do a nasty to something expensive.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote