Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:08 PM   #1

Hello all I recently purcahsed a canon 20D with an EF 75-300mm f/4 - 5.6 III ultrasonic aswell as an EF 28 - 105mm f/4-5.6 USM. I was told that these are high quality (professional level) lenses, however after taking a few shots I have my doubts. Anyone else have expireince with these or any tips (I may be able to send them back still). Really wish I could have found this forum before purchasing $2600 worth of equipment. Thank you in advance.:?
speezdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:56 PM   #2

Well, unfortunately you were lied to. The 75-300 is really a rather poor lens (it's about a $200 lens and not a very good one). Not really familiar with the 28-105 lens you mention - but I see it advertised for$160- which also leads me to believe it's not that great. The 20D if bought recently should go new for around $1000-1100. So, total price should be around $1500. So if you paid $2600, I hope you got a lot more than those 3 items otherwise you were robbed (or were you dealing with non-US currency?)

Canon's "professional quality" lenses have an "L" designation in the name - like the 70-200 f4 L, 17-40L, 24-70L, etc.

This is not to say there aren't fantastic non-L lenses. But for future reference if someone is telling you it's a professional quality CANON lens and it's not an L, then they're selling you a bill of goods (and there is more to professional quality than sharpness - there's build quality, focus speed, max aperture, seals, etc).

But as mentioned there are good non-Ls . Canon makes a 70-300 IS USM lens that is an exceptional value at $560 or so. Their "profesional quality" lens comparable to the 28-105 you mention is a 24-105 f4 L which sells for around $1000.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3

I appreciate it John G, I am going to try and return my lenses, and buy through a more reputable source this next time, I blinded my self from the old addage: if its too good to be true than it probably is next time I will not be such a fool. If you want nice glass ya gotta give upsome cash.Thanks.
speezdout is offline   Reply With Quote