Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:21 PM   #11
NHL

O.S. wrote:
Quote:
tell me there is another way- please!
Photography is all about capturing light and you've got no light!
-> a PRO with a 1Ds MrkII and f/1.2 lens will have the same issue (i.e. need the shutter speed) so forget about a 30/40D... without flash

It's all in the lighting and this is probably the next best bet (same cost as a 580EX, but with 2-heads):
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron..._MZ-4.171.html

... or go for a used Quantum Qflash + your Promaster (or used Metz 70 MZ-5) for lower cost but you'll have to use the Auto mode :idea:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:35 PM   #12

NHL - tell me why Metz 54 over let's say 580ex that is more powerfull?

and ... now I am completely confused ..... can you tell me more about the quantum, promaster metz etc setups you are talking about?

which Qflash? the used ones I found on on ebay are qflash T2., and t4d

when shooting I usually leave the camera to decide how much light to produce, I may change FEC once in a while and that's it. THere is just no time to change any settings while I am shooting. I don't think I'd be able to fiddle with any settings. All I do is change zoom on my lens and press the shutter release .
how does the Auto (old school stuff ?) fits into this process.

And by the way ... my Promaster 7500dx is a dual head unit too.
I also thought of using my 7500dx as a slave .. but it does not communicate with master unit but just fires when master fires responding to the master light flash I guess ... I am not the only one shooting with flash there and if I set my promaster to be a slave it will probably respond to the other 100 bursts in the room .... or am I wrong?
I have so little knowledge of this stuff that ... help me figure it out please :
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:58 PM   #13

Your Promaster won't work with a Canon as a slave. Canon flashes send out a burst before the main flash for metering. The Promaster 7500DX will fire at the metering burst, sending the metering into lala land, and not fire during the "real" flash. I have a 300d and learned this the hard way.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:37 PM   #14
NHL

O.S. wrote:
Quote:
NHL - tell me why Metz 54 over let's say 580ex that is more powerfull?
We've already established that for a direct flash your Promaster is good enough (i.e. freezing the action @ 1/60s f/4) for than WA since "the shots above were taken at the toughest / darkest venue my daughter competes". So a more powerful direct flash will not get rid of those telltale tall shadows on the wall from the shiny dance floor reflection...

The question now is (1) does the 580EX has enough "Oumph" to cover the distance when bounced off the high ceiling (or off an on-flash mounted diffuser)? and then (2) we want to improve the lighting with a smaller fill from the front and this is where the 54MZ comes in (the 580EX is only rated 4 Guide Number greater than the Metz, but lack the front fill). I've also checked your Promaster; However, when used as a "dual-head" it's GN drops to 38 instead of44 (which was similar to the lesser Canon's 430EX) when used alone! Can you verify if your Promaster still work adequately when bounced again tall ceilings as a "dual-head" - probably a poor design with both heads sharing a common HV capacitor?

With the Qflash this device will usually be set on manual bouncing off the ceiling to create the ambient - similar to someone turning on all the room lights when you are about to take a picture and then turning them off when you are done. You can then use any old style Auto flash to fill in the remaining light (i.e. an E-TTL device will not work in this mode) and where again the Metz units have an advantage because they all featured an Auto mode (on top of E-TTL)

You can still get a 580EX for the bounce, but you need another head to wirelessly slave of it for the fill - A Sigma EF-500DG Super for example, which many people here have, is fully compatible with the Canon sytem for only 1/2 the price... Problem with this approach is unless you're sitting still - you'll need some kind of bracket to hold theses two units (which'll make you look like a real PRO) :-)
-> In the end when you add all the cost up... (and the convenience), may be the 76MZ-5 (or cheaper older 70MZ-5) is still the way to go
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:21 PM   #15

thanks for your response, I was waiting for it. really appreciate your input

it cleared things up quite a bit.

I need to experiment with what I have and have a very good look at Metz 76 flash ..

how important is the second head though? I have not used it much on my promaster, it has been off almost since the day I got the unit.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:38 PM   #16
NHL

O.S. wrote:
Quote:
how important is the second head though? I have not used it much on my promaster, it has been off almost since the day I got the unit.
This could be due to the decrease in power when both head are enabled with your Promaster when used at the limit

-> You can experiment with bouncing the main head in your home with lower 8-10ft ceiling - the 2nd head fill is most useful up close to get rid of the shadow under the nose or chin from the bounce - Every location is slighly different so what might work in one venue may be different from one another, you just have to make some trial shots

Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:16 PM   #17

that's what I thought ..... thanx for your help