Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:39 AM   #1

Hi everyone. I plan to purchase my first DSLR asap - a Canon 30D - but am having trouble making up my mind about the lens. I've researched and read forums for many hours and have only decided to forgo the lens kit.

I plan to shoot primarily portraits (people and pets) and macro (nature and jewelry), and some landscapes. I used to shoot a lot of 35mm film years ago and have recently decided to start shooting again, but in digital. My budget for lenses is $1,000 or under (not including Canon rebate). I am trying to convince myself to start with one lens to keep the budget under $500, but am leaning towards buying two. It's late, the 1.6 crop factor is throwing me off even though it shouldn't. I'm probably just tired. So I thought I'd post this question and try to get a good night's sleep with the hope that you friendly folks will help me make a decision tomorrow.

Anyway, three lenses that I am considering are:

Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Medium Telephoto
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto or Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens

All suggestions are appreciated. I'd like to order this camera asap!

Thanks,
Aileen
ascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:11 AM   #2

Ascout....
Looking at what you have listed, why not consider a Canon Standard Zoom...Or Equal off brand...I have read good reviews about Canons 24-105mm f4L lens...This would give you what your looking for in just one lens...If you wanted a lower light lens, look at
the Canon 24-70mm 2.8L lens...I have this lens and its awsome...In fact its my main lens for weddings...Why worry about lots of fixed focal lenses when there are great zooms out there...Save room in your camera bag for other gagetts...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering fixed focal lengths for a couple reasons, mainly because of distortion factor, the subjects I plan to photograph, and I want to "refresh" my photography skills.

This morning I am leaning towards buying a fixed 50mm or 35mm...then maybe adding a zoom in a few weeks.

I haven't even begun to look at accessories or lighting for my in-home studio. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4

Why not start with canon 50mm f1.8 which is only $80 and take from there. 50mm/85mm maye be too long on 1.6x body if you taking multiple people shots.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:27 AM   #5

I read some reviews comparing the 50mm f/1.8 to the 50mm f/1.4. It seems the color and bokeh are much better on the 50 f/1.4...need to decide if it's worth the extra $200 for the 50mm f1.4? I forgot to mention that I'd like to be able to use the new lenses on my older Canon 35mm Rebel (instead of the kit lens that came with it).

I should be able to take good macro shots on the 50mm on the 30D, right?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:54 AM   #6

Not without extension tubes, the 50mm is not a macro lens it does not allow for close focues without the tubes.
Canon does make a EF-s 60mm Macro if you want such a short focal length macro lens.
Downside is the EF-s is not usable on the older cameras.

For macro work I'd be looking at a 100mm or up, just to get the longer working distance.
The sigma 150mm or 180mm macros are excelent lenses!

With modern lens design you will find the new good quality zooms are outperforming the older fixed focal length lenses. All the recent R&D has gone into the zooms and almost all the fixed lenses have older designs and materials dating back into the dark ages (before digital) .

Quote:
I read some reviews comparing the 50mm f/1.8 to the 50mm f/1.4. It seems the color and bokeh are much better on the 50 f/1.4...need to decide if it's worth the extra $200 for the 50mm f1.4? I forgot to mention that I'd like to be able to use the new lenses on my older Canon 35mm Rebel (instead of the kit lens that came with it).
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:54 PM   #7

I own a 50mm 1.8 II ... the best $50 (bought it used on ebay) I spent on any of my photo equipment.
it is very sharp, and the "bit better" bokeh of 1.4 did not justify the extra expence for me. I don't use the lens too often and when I do - it produces amazing results.
get one used and you can sell it for the same later. Even if you buy it new you will not loose much if you sell it after.

it is a great lens.

IMHO
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:55 PM   #8

I just bought the Sigma 17-70 2.8 and it is a fantastic lens.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:59 PM   #9

ascout wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm considering fixed focal lengths for a couple reasons, mainly because of distortion factor, the subjects I plan to photograph, and I want to "refresh" my photography skills.

This morning I am leaning towards buying a fixed 50mm or 35mm...then maybe adding a zoom in a few weeks.

I haven't even begun to look at accessories or lighting for my in-home studio. Any suggestions?
Forgot to read this,, why not the 50 1/8 II, this is also a really good lens for the price.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:05 PM   #10

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

I love this lens.... Love it.... Don't ask why I just do! LOL... It takes great portriat shots and I use it for everyday shooting of everything, well most everything...

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote