Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:09 AM   #1
jmc

After researching the options, I've decided to replace my Nikon Coolpix 8700 with a Canon Rebel XTi, thus propelling me into the DSLR realm. Startup speed, speed between shots ('specially flash!), and low light performance are a couple of reasons I'm switching.

It's been about 10 years since I last had to deal with interchangeable lenses - not since I sold my film camera (gads, has it been that long??)

In reading various reviews, many say the usual kit lens (18-55mm) isn't very good, and recommend looking for a kit with the 17-85mm USM IS lens. But, some folks don't think this is a great lens either. I see "get this lens, get that lens" and now I'm totally confused.

I want to minimize the number of lenses I own, I'm a small person and don't like to carry around lots of kit (which is one reason I've stayed out of DSLR until now).

Normally, I do landscape type photography (and touristy stuff, since I live overseas), with a smattering of macro when the opportunity presents itself. I use the zoom a *lot* on my current camera.

However, on occassion, I do fast-action photography, usually horses. I'd need to be able to zoom in here as well, but a shorter zoom would be OK - fast is more important.

Sometimes I need good low-light performance as well, which I gather the 17-85 isn't much good at. Would I need yet another lens for shooting in low light situations?

You can see my dilemma. I really haven't a clue as to what I should get, to meet my needs. Please help!

Oh, and what other kit do I need? filters, hoods, ?

Any help appreciated!

jmc

[edit: Looking at the Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8. Is this a good 'walkaround' lens? Price is an issue only 'cause I'm not a pro, and can't quite see paying more for a lens than the camera - tho I'm sure I would if I was a pro!]
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:44 AM   #2

well ... here is a kicker ...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

may be a Nikon d80 is a way to go since you haven't bought a Canon system yet?

O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 AM   #3
NHL

The 18-200mm VR is definetely a sharp lens!
Just its distortion (and CA) which can be disturbing: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...56vr/index.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:41 PM   #4

NHL - you are right
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:45 AM   #5
jmc

Just to follow up, I decided to go for body-only, and just the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] SP AF Zoom (thank you, cutandpaste!).

I'll definitely need something to zoom with, but I'm not sure exactly what I'll need yet, thinking something out to 200mm? I do mostly handheld so I'm a bit limited there.

Suggestions welcome

jmc
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote