Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:36 PM   #1

I have had Rebel XT and Canon EF 24-85mm USM Lens with hood and B+W 67mm MRC UV filter.

I choose this lens because it seemed to be the best moderate price zoom lens that was at least moderately wide considering the 1.6 crop factor.

I use the camera almost exclusively for taking pictures of my wife and 2 kids and vs. versa and the occasional tripod shot of the lot of us, with the remote. I suppose fast accurate focus is important in getting good expressions.

I have been shopping for an upgraded lens, perhaps selling the 24 to 85mm. I have read reviews and opinions many times.

Something with Anti shake has appeal, so that I could more frequently use natural light over the flash.

Any suggestions as to whether an upgrade makes sense for my use would be appreciated and any specific suggestions as to lens recommendations. I am looking to maybe sell/trade my lens for about $200 (hopefully) and pick up something around $500 give or take. I am not against 3rd party lenses though none I am aware of have anti shake, and I seem to hear more complaints about chromatic aberrations and focus speed.

From what I have been able to discern Canon 17-85 IS is about the same quality as what I have, but would offer me IS and a wider zoom but that I would end up wanting to use it around 24mm anyway because of quality. Not sure it is worth the swap.

I know Canon came out with a great EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens though its about a $1000 bucks and does not get me as close as what I have and there is the 24-70L also not cheap by any means

Thank you in advance.

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Well the 17-85 is MUCH sharper according to the MTF charts.

@17mm the 17-85 blows away the 24-85 @24mm.

http://www.canon.com.hk/en/Consumer/...p;tag_id=10112

http://www.canon.com.hk/en/Consumer/...p;tag_id=10515

There may be variance in build quality between copies, but I would expect that on all non-pro lenses.

Even the cheapo kit lens has much better MTF than the 24-85. Go on admit it - you've been reading the forums at dpreview haven't you? Hahaha.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 5:51 PM   #3

I would suggest going with something 17mm or 18mm on the wide end.

I find that best for indoor situations and group portraits where space is tight.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:15 PM   #4

Thank you I will look over the charts again... Do these charts take into account EF Center image on a 1.6 sensor, verus full frame verus EFS that is that size from the start. That is that while the 24 to 85 was never a great full frame lens the center of the lens that is what is imaged on a 1.6 crop camera like the Rebel XT and this part of the lens is much better. The 17 to 85 is only a 1.6 lens.

e.g. http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3545/index.htm

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...6_is/index.htm

As I said I am not wedded to any particular replcement choice, I just do not want to trade up to aprox the same quality I already have...

What about the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DG macro for example..
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:12 PM   #5

I can't comment on that specific lens.

You can contact NHL who is the resident lens guru here.

However, regardless of the sensor, wider is better.

17mm is nice and wide, but any wider and things get distorted where you might have to fix up the image perspective after the fact using software.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6

i have the sigma 17-70 and it is really good. sigma is also coming out with a 18-200 with os just not sure when or at what price.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote