Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 24, 2006, 5:50 PM   #1

I've had a Digital Rebel for a couple of years now. I have used mainly the kit lens that came with the camera and a EF 80-200mm, but found myself changing lenses waaayyy too often.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I did a little research (little being the key word) and on a whim bought a Quantaray 18-200mm Di O lens yesterday at Wolf for $369. I wanted a Canon lens with IS, but it wasn't worth the extra $$$.

I am not a professional photography, just a hobbyist. So...is this a decent lens for general work? I do not take a lot of macro shots, portraits, or landscapes, mainly just candids.

From the sample pics I have taken, I have been pleased with the results. I'd even say it takes better pics than the kit lens.

Should I have spent a little more and bought something different? Wolf has a 10 day return policy.
LooseScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:17 PM   #2

I would have probably bought the Tamron 18-200 from B&H Photo, but I can't say how the Quantaray would compare.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:46 AM   #3

For this range, I would have bought a Sigma 18-200mm . But see, since your main subject is for candids, not sure if a lens with the focal range of 18-200mm is the right lens to use...this range ismore of a "do it all" lens, but sacrifices on quality.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:50 AM   #4

I hate to say it, but a Quantray is a budget lens (it's Sigmas way of dumping their defects)...your chances of grtting a decent copy are slim to none.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:01 AM   #5

LooseScrews wrote:
Quote:
From the sample pics I have taken, I have been pleased with the results. I'd even say it takes better pics than the kit lens.
It sounds like you are happy with it....why change?
MikeI is offline   Reply With Quote