Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:45 PM   #1

I'mwaiting for my 30D to show up, but Istill need to find a good all around lens. I am very "newbie" to the whole lens thing, so I'm not really sure what I need. I had planned on purchasing a Canon 50mm f1.8 for indoor, lower-light karate shots, but after reading other posts, not sure if I should consider something in the 17-70mm range...What I don't know is when flash is not an option, would a 2.8 aperture work? Some posts seem to convey the a 2.8 is OK for lower light and others say 1.8 or lower??? I'm thinking I might just get the Canon 50mm 1.8, but then another lens for more everyday use. I primarily shoot sports...soccer, baseball...thus the Canon 70-300mm, but for the kids running around and general use, where do I go? I don't know anything about the Sigma or Tamron lens. One Sigma lens caught my eye...a super wide angle zoom 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC macro auto focus (not sure what super wide angle, or macro means to me) but it was $329. Should I even look at the Tamron or Sigma lens....are they anygood? Should I just stay with Canon? Although I don't have a huge budget, I don't want to buy "cheap quality". I'm making my investment and want to do it as best I can without breaking the bank.

Thank you for any input or direction!

FB Mom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:33 PM   #2

Your question is very similar to one that I posted and received some good responses to here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

I've narrowed down my choices to the Sigma 17-70 which you describe and the Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6.

Both get good reviews here:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

For your indoor question, I guess it depends upon whether you'll typically have enough light available. The faster prime lens will certainly work better in low light, but for me, the convenience factor of the zoom wins out. That said, that's why I want to consider the Sigma (2.8-4.5) as opposed to just the Canon (4-5.6). Of course, the 50mm f1.8 prime is pretty inexpensive, so you might get that for portrait shots as well.

My next step is to test out both at a retailer. As much as I like to avoid "physical" shopping (would much rather point & click at midnight), I think the only way to really assess this is to pick out a few subjects and shoot them with both lenses at the same settings.

The Sigma lens is not carried as widely as the Canon, so you'll need to find a retailer who has them. I'm in NY, so B&H and Adorama should have them, but depending upon where you are it might be harder to find the Sigma.

Good luck,

Barry

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the links Barry! One of my problems is that I live in a small town and the only camera shop (if you could really call them a camera shop) is about 50 minutes away and theydon't havemuch of a selection. Mail order is pretty much my only option, that's why I have really come to rely on these posts.

Are you familiar with any of the Tamron lens? In a couple of other posts the Tamron 17-50 2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) SP AF zoom came up. (I have no idea what the XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) stuff means??? Not sure if any of that pertains to what I need or not???)....also the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro came up. I was hoping to get something with IS, but the more I read, I'm not sure it's something I really need.

Thank you for any light you might be able to shed on this!

FB Mom
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4

I'm not familiar with them myself. Photozone has a review of the 17-50. It seems to rate very high on (MTF) resolution. The fact that it's F2 also makes it seem attractive.
The only downside that I see is that the zoom only goes to 50mm. Assuming you also get a 70-300 (I have the Sigma 70-300 APO) that leaves a gap from 50-70mm, which is a length you'd probably use fairly frequently for shots of the kids, etc.

The 28-75 will act more like a 45-120mm, so you would probably find yourself looking to add more of a wide angle at some point.

I'm still struggling with my decision - do I go for the Canon 4.5 - 5.6 with the IS, or forego IS and get the Sigma f2.8 - 4.5. I am leaning towards the latter, but hopefully will find a retailer with both that I can test.

Good luck,

Barry

Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:10 PM   #5

I had the 17-85 and sold it and bought the Sigma 17-70 and it is optically better than the 17-85 trust me. Since you have the 70-300 IS which is a great lens you wont be dissapointed with the 17-70, i also have the 50 1/8 II for the price it's great.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:55 PM   #6

Thanks Barry and Hercules for your input. Right now I'm leaning toward the Canon 50mm 1.8 and the Sigma 17-70. Do either of you know the differnce between wide angle zoom and super wide angel zoom???

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:18 PM   #7

I'm not sure of the technical definition; in the past, I've seen the term "super wide angle" used to describe lenses with focal length in the 12-20mm range, but now it seems that retailers are applying that to anything that starts in the 18mm range. I would hardly call a 17-70mm lens "super wide angle" (especially when it's for a digital SLR and is the equivalent of a 28-110 film lens) but some of the web sites do. I think the term is being used interchangeably with wide angle zoom these days.

BTW - you mentioned that you were shopping for this online. Of all the online retailers, the 2 most trustworthy camera shops I know of are B&H (bhphotovideo.com) and Adorama. Both of them are legitimate and offer full (albeit short) return policies.

Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:33 PM   #8

I use a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 as my walk around indoor lens. I like the constant f2.8 throughout the entire zoom range and it's pretty sharp as the reviews say.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote