Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:27 PM   #1

Hey all, I have been considering a DSLR as my next camera (probably not for a year or so) but am kind of unsure about the multiple lenses issues. I would need lenses suitable for the following.

A) Wildlife photography, mainly birds, this means I need ZOOM! I currently use a Prosumer camera with a teleconverter capable of giving me 730mm. I know I won't get this with a cheap lens, but how close can I get?

B) Macro work on flowers.

C) Landscape shots.

I realize these are all very different situations and will likely require 3 different lenses. What would 3 cheap lenses be? I don't need IS and will likely go with a Canon camera.

Also, how much of a hassle is it to switch lenses. On a general photo outing, I will usually do at least 2, if not all 3 of these activities so I would be lens swapping a lot, is it risky/time consuming to switch lenses often?

Thanks everyone.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

To be pedantic for a moment...

Quote:
A) Wildlife photography, mainly birds, this means I need ZOOM! I currently use a Prosumer camera with a teleconverter capable of giving me 730mm. I know I won't get this with a cheap lens, but how close can I get?
Actually it means you need telephoto; a long focal length. Zoom simply describes the ratio of the longest to shortest focal length on a particular lens.

So a 500mm prime lens (no zoom at all) would be far more useful for birding than a 18-200mm lens (11x zoom).

Switching lenses only takes a few seconds and is not an issue for most photographers. Some professional photographers find it useful to have more than one body with different lenses attached so that they can switch very quickly. For most people that's overkill.

You need to tell us your budget because there are a vast range of available lenses. Better lenses cost more - no surprise there right?

Give us your budget and we can recommend something.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:00 PM   #3

I was actually wondering if I wanted a fixed focal length. What happens if I end up closer to a bird than 500mm, unless I can switch lenses in half a second, I probably would end up missing it. And what if I end up too far away from the bird with say a 200mm and need to zoom in, wouldn't it be handy to be able to zoom? I was thinking something like a 200-400mm if thats possible would be best (but I could be wrong, I know very little about DSLRs)

Now as for the budget. I would like to be able to spend about $1000 on this all, but I won't be able to all at once. Amassing $600-$800 for a DSLR is a lot for me, and that would probably use up all my money. Then I would want a cheap "all purpose" kind of lens (maybe an 18-200mm) to keep me busy until I could afford more.

So lets just say $1000 for all 3 lenses, what would you suggest?

Edit: I just took a look at a lens made by Sigma, I was wondering, do all Sigma lenses work on Canon cameras? The "Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro APO" looks like an excellent lens for my wildlife shots.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:02 PM   #4

I have the Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG Macro.
It's a good lens for the money. The image quality is great from the low to mid-range, but as you get up to 300mm, you lose a little resolution, particularly around the borders. For the types of shots you describe, I think it would be a great choice on a budget. I've used mine for nature, sporting events (pee wee football) and even got some great shots at a concert with it. I'm sure the EF IS is a better lens, but for the price, this is a good starter telephoto zoom.

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote