Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:02 PM   #1

Hi guys and gals,

I'm about to retire my Minolta Dimage 7i and jump into the D-SLR arena with a Canon EOS 400D. I'm going to buy the Body & 18-55mm lense kit as there's only £10 between them. I'll eventually invest in a better lense, but funds are fairly tight at the moment as I'm looking to get a decent bag (Lowpro Slingshot A200 probably), Battery Grip,plus Telephoto and Macro lenses.

So to the main question: which lenses ...

Telephoto:

I've read good reviews of the following:

Sigma AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG APO - £158

Tamron AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro- £125

Are there any others in that sort of price range? I wouldn't want to go more than £200 ish. The 300mm range is quite important as it'll be mainly for wildlife shots where getting in close isn't always an option.

I also love taking macro shots of plants and flowers so I'm looking for a dedicated Macro lense. Again, I've shortlisted a couple but am looking for any other recommendations:

Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro - £279

Canon - Macro lens - 50 mm - f/2.5 - £180

Tamron SP 90MM Di MACRO - £279

I guess my budget for this is around £300. Am I right in thinking the longer the lense the better for plant and flower shots?

Thanks in advance ...

Jed.
Jedfordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:12 AM   #2

Well I bought the 400d yesterday and have to say that I'm more than impressed, even with the bundled 18-55 lense.

Now I need to decide on my telephoto and macro lenses.

Just to add another macro one to the pot:

Canon EF-S - Macro lens - 60 mm - f/2.8 USM - I've found it for £280 ish, but have got a £35 cashback voucher bundled with the camera.

So ... any thoughts?

Cheers,

Jed.

Oh, Happy New Year everyone :-)
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:40 AM   #3

The kit lens is ok for macro until you want to spend a fair bit more. It focusses fairly close so you can get good magnification. Good for larger flowers but not quite enough for small flowers and bugs.
The sigma 70-300 also doubles as a macro lens. It gets similar magnification to the kit but from a lot further away due to the long focal length. Much better for subjects that you can't disturb but also much harder to hold steady. I find I need a tripod for macro shots with it (and a solid tripod at that) even in bright light. It's a pretty good general tele lens though and worth buying if you're on a budget.
I'd use what you have for a bit, maybe buying the sigma just to have a decent telephoto more than for macro, and see where your photos are coming up short before looking to flop out the wallet.
Unless you want pics of really tiny subjects and need a 1:1 or better lens then you'll probably get better results investing in a good flash set-up. You often want to stop down to f11-f16+ to get a good depth of field when focussed up close and it makes things pretty dark.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:33 PM   #4

Jedfordski wrote:
Quote:
Well I bought the 400d yesterday and have to say that I'm more than impressed, even with the bundled 18-55 lense.

Now I need to decide on my telephoto and macro lenses.

Just to add another macro one to the pot:

Canon EF-S - Macro lens - 60 mm - f/2.8 USM - I've found it for £280 ish, but have got a £35 cashback voucher bundled with the camera.

So ... any thoughts?

Cheers,

Jed.

Oh, Happy New Year everyone :-)
Happy new year to you as well, have you tried Warehouse Express thier EF-s 60mm macro is only £259. I don't shoot macro yet so I can't say which is best.

Bob
inness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:41 PM   #5

With my 400D body I'm using a Sigma 17-70 F 2.8 - 4.5 Macro
and a Sigma 70-300 F 4.5 - 5.6 APO DG Macro.
The lenses cover the focal lengths I need and are giving great results.They cost £220 and £145 respectively.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:30 PM   #6

Thanks guys.

I'm sticking with the kit lense for the time being. It seems okay at the moment, and a hell of a lot better than my old Dimage 7i. I'm sure I'll notice a massive difference again when I upgrade it maybe for next Xmas.

I've also ordered the Sigma 70-300 F 4.5 - 5.6 APO DG Macro plus the Canon EF-S - Macro lens - 60 mm - f/2.8 USM, both from Warehouse Express- should have them by the beginning of next week. I'll let you know how I get on

Thanks,

Jed.