Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:12 AM   #1

I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for my Canon 350D just before Christmas. I shot a bit over a week's worth of family/friends and holiday kind of photos using this lens and at times an external flash: Canon 440EX. The results were not impressive with shots focus off the mark and looking like they were taken with my little IXUS P&S camera.

The problems I had
  • While using the flash, 95% of the shots were out of focus and very soft (compared to my kit lens which was spot on)[/*]
  • Although this isn't a problem with the lens.. a rather high ISO was required even at f/2.8 shooting with plenty of light inside -- must be the time of year.[/*]
  • Bokeh was much harder to get than with the 50mm f/1.8 -- which seems to "pick-out" focussed subjects from a scene.[/*]
In general most of the shots taken were disappointingly out of focus and I am wondering if it is because it's a third-party lens, whether it is a "faulty copy" or what!

Has anyone in this forum experienced similar problems with this or another lens?

Could someone please advise me what to do? I should be able to return the product under the 30 day return policy.

Regards,

Alex
alexellisuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:02 AM   #2

Sounds like something is wrong here. I just got the same lens in the Minolta mount and my preliminary test shots are spot on. With and without flash, any apeture, nice and sharp. I'm starting to like this lens.

--FrankD
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:43 PM   #3

Where was your focus point set in your camera? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Rebel/XT should only use center focus point when using an f2.8 lens...or something to this effect...perhaps I didn't quite understood the article or misread it.

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:01 AM   #4

Please see this forum post for the sample images.. and details on the focus point used.

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?p=160407#160407

I really need to get some help on this one. It seems that when using the flash inparticulary the Tamron is off the mark on the focussing.

alexellisuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:57 PM   #5

Have you tried a focus test?

Focus Test

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:48 PM   #6

I tried a focus test in a darken room using my 430ex AF assist light. The lens is set to 50mm and f2.8. Seems like there is a bit of front focus.

Attached Images

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote