Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:18 AM   #1

Hello all,

I will soon be purchasing a 350D (no debate on the body at least!)... and I've been researching like crazy all the lens configuration possibilities. Bottom line is that I want a decent zoom nothing crazy, but I also want bokeh... it doesn't have to be 'good' bokeh.... just 'any' bokeh would be fine with me.

I was all set to get the kit lens and add on the 50mm 1.8 for bokeh shots, but now I see there are some fixed f2.8 lenses that have a good deal of bokeh so what can you all tell me about the lenses under $450 that are fixed at 2.8? Also, 24mm is the highest wide angle I want to go for obvious reasons.

So far, I see Sigma and Tamron have a few offerings and I have a few questions:

1) What is the performance difference (if any) between Sigma's EX and EX MACRO lenses for 18-50 and 24-70 lenses? Is it just the addition of MACRO, or are the lenses better overall?

2) How much better is the 50mm 1.8 vs. these lenses in absolute resolution at 50mm for portraits, etc....

3) I know that Sigma as been notorious for bad lenses / AF issues.... but is that more true on their cheaper lenses?
Thanks!
ohcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:21 PM   #2

take a look at the sigma 17-70. a little more range and the quality(at least mine) is really good.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3

I also have the 17-70 Sigma and am very happy with it for the value. With the crop factor of the camera the wider range is nice.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:35 AM   #4

I sold my kit lens to get the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I don't use the EF 50mm f1.8 much since acquiring the Tamron.

For bokeh, the Tamron has 7 curved blades aperture and the 50mm f1.8 has 5 blades.

You can find reviews here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:11 AM   #5

Hi,

I've just taken back my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. It seems that it was back/front focusing (just plain missing the mark) I tried it with varying levels of light and found particular problems when using the Canon Speedlite 430ex.

To the people who have this lens, have you tried it with an external flash?

I've attached sample images below in this forum post.
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=27222

Now I must consider whether I had a "dud copy" of the lens or whether this lens just doesn't work too well with the Canon 350D or the Speedlite 430ex.

I would like really like to hear back!

Thanks.
alexellisuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:35 AM   #6
NHL

alexellisuk wrote:
Quote:
I've just taken back my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. It seems that it was back/front focusing (just plain missing the mark) I tried it with varying levels of light and found particular problems when using the Canon Speedlite 430ex.
Why do you think it's the lens when this only happens with the flash?

-> turn the IR beam off or block the front-red part of the flash to see if the problem persist - otherwise the IR illumination beam for the AF in low-light from the 430EX could be off instead :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:38 AM   #7

Trique Daddi wrote:
Quote:
I also have the 17-70 Sigma and am very happy with it for the value. With the crop factor of the camera the wider range is nice.

Trique Daddi
Is this lens avail. w/ a constant 2.8?
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:39 PM   #8

its a f/2.8-4 lens

not f2.8 throughout..
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:08 PM   #9

I just picked up a Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX Macro. It was $429.

Will post some tests this weekend.....

lynne
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:12 AM   #10

Not long ago I picked up a Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro-SV because i needed to get a faster aperatre lens than my kit lens and at the $300 price point, i was quite impressed with the results. My uncle who does plenty of professional photography told me to never even look at the Tokina brand but i bought it anyways. The build quality is solid and heavy and the zoom mechanism is internal so no protruding lense as i zoom out.

My uncle being the owner of of a Canon 1DS Mark II 16 megapixel camera decided to setup his camera on a tripod and alternate lenses between the two using a mid-range zoom on both setups. His lens was definitely a wringer..... a Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus lens.

After the lens and camera swappiing we sat down at his workstation and started to analyize the photographs. It turned out that at a medium zoom, medium aperatre, the Tokina performed very very close to the Canon lens which costs 4x+ as much as my humble tokina. The true difference was comparing his cameras ability to use the Canon L series lens to its true potential at all aperatures and shutter speeds. The Tokina lacked at wide aperature some in sharpness but held together quite well overall.

Long story short, i would definitely buy the L series lens if my camera was a step up or two from my rebel XT which truly doesn't fully utilize the very high quality and cost of the L-series glass.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote