Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1

Trying to decide whether or not to take advantage of the Canon rebates.

I'm looking at the 70-200 f/4 and the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS.

They are roughly the same price (550$). After reviewing the specs, it looks like they both weigh ~1.5 lbs. I thought the 70-200 was lighter. Can anyone confirm?

For the same dollar amount, and the need to take good motion/ light action sports shots (and some birds, bugs, and animals), which would you choose?

Lastly, it looks like the IS is on the longer lens for stability, is that a good enough feature that would warrant getting that one?

And, lastly, lastly, should I just save my money and get the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG?

I'm going to add to my collection by getting the 430EX as well.

I appreciate all comments. I value everyone's wisdom (from which I'm trying to acquire!).

thx...
kc571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:17 PM   #2

For low light shots you might want to find a lens with f2.8 throughout the zoom range?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:50 PM   #3

I agree, but my wallet does not concur. I know there's a good Sigma for about 900.

Hopefully, I'll get my kids to play outdoor sports.
kc571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:45 AM   #4

kc571 schreef:
Quote:
Trying to decide whether or not to take advantage of the Canon rebates.

I'm looking at the 70-200 f/4 and the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS.

They are roughly the same price (550$). After reviewing the specs, it looks like they both weigh ~1.5 lbs. I thought the 70-200 was lighter. Can anyone confirm?

For the same dollar amount, and the need to take good motion/ light action sports shots (and some birds, bugs, and animals), which would you choose?

Lastly, it looks like the IS is on the longer lens for stability, is that a good enough feature that would warrant getting that one?

And, lastly, lastly, should I just save my money and get the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG?

I'm going to add to my collection by getting the 430EX as well.

I appreciate all comments. I value everyone's wisdom (from which I'm trying to acquire!).

thx...

You've got a problem....

let me explain.

For action photography you need a fast focussing lens: 70-200 F4 would be the obvious choice here.
For birds you want more reach, even 300 mm is on the short side: 70-300 would be a good choice, a longer lens even bettter

For bugs, both lenses won't do. You better take a look at a dedicated macro lens.

For animals (zoo's?), both lenses would do fine, the 70-300 would be better for more reach, but the 70-200 has slightly nicer bokeh.

The sigma is a nice lens for its price, but doesn't compare to the other 2.

A frend of mine was in about the same position 2 years ago.

he started with the sigma, played with it for a year. Then the slow focus/picture quality at 300 mm started to bother him, so he bought the 70-200 F4. a few months later he bought a Canon 300mm F4 lens, with 1.4x extender, specially for bird photohraphy, the 70-200 was to short for that. And now he's looking for a dedicated macro lens..

Good luck with your choice
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:26 PM   #5
Super Moderator

If you are looking for quality then have a look at the Sigma 100-300 f4, here is the review http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...00_4/index.htmand the last statement speaks for itself.

The AF 100-300mm f/4 EX HSM is the most impressive Sigma lens tested to date. It is capable to deliver a near flawless performance with great resolution figures, low vignetting, low distortions, low CAs and as a nice whipped cream on top the build quality feels just right. It also mates pretty well with the Canon EF 1.4x II converter at costs of relatively high CAs and a somewhat lower but still high resolution. All-in-all ... highly recommended!

It is a little more expensive however you will have far better quality than the 70-300 and more range than the 70-200.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:28 AM   #6

If length is important and the reason for the 400mm lens ( which I'm sure it is),then you may want to consider a flash with more reach such as the 550 or580 EX models.

Happy Shooting!

trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote