Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:16 AM   #1

Hello Everyone,

In a few weeks I will be visiting India (Delhi and Kolkata) and I wanted to take my Canon XT with me. As I don't have that much money I was planning to rent 1 or 2 lenses and take them to India. I would be taking a lot of pictures of daily life and scenery. I was thinking of getting a Canon 10-22mm & a Canon 17-85mm IS or the Canon 28-135mm what are your thoughts? Any suggestions? This is my first time going on such a trip so any knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you! For all your help.

NV
nv1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:33 PM   #2

Just a thought - you might want to check with whoever you're planning on renting from that taking the lens out of country doesn't violate the terms of your rental agreement. You might not care and decide to do it anyway and not tell them - up to you.

But, you also don't say what lens you currently have? The kit lens? If so, then I would stick with that for that focal range - landscape shots will be taken stopped down anyway. So, the question becomes whether your style of photography indicates you need wider or longer lenses. I think the 17-85 is too much overlap. So, if you want really wide then get the 10-22. Otherwise I think maybe a 70-300 might be a good idea - small, light and combined with the kit lens you'd have a pretty good focal range coverage with light-weight lenses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:27 PM   #3

when i travellled last time, i carried 12-24, 17-50, 50mm f1.8, 85mm 1.8

almost the 17-50 stayed for ever.

if u want street photo or daily life i would stick with something in 18-50.

the ultra wide is something u will use once a while and its not that important unless u really want to get that wide..

if u have the kit lens, its more than enuff. Instead of renting u can get the 50mm f1.8 at around 65 bucks and trust me its more lens for the money.

carry a small tripod in case and eliminaqte the need for very costly high speed lens like 85mm 1.2 or something.

since ur interests stays on daily life, i am not sure if u reallly need a tele. anything from 17-105 shud cover most of ur needs.

18-55, a 50mm 1.8 and as John suggested a 70-300 APO DG Macro from Sigma.

all these u can cover in 220 dollors. The 70-300 is around 150-160 and u get it for 100-120 in used market. and 50mm is aroun 70. U can actually buy knowing u are interested to continue this hobby
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:50 PM   #4

How about one of those 18-200mm Sigma or Tamron lens?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:14 PM   #5

Thank you for all your suggestions. It never occurred to me that it might be a problem to take the lens out of the country, I will find out soon. I am going to go with the canon 17-85mm IS & maybe the 10-22mm lens, if money permits. Again, thank you for all your help.
nv1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:43 PM   #6

http://www.lensrentals.com/

check this pplace..u can rent lens out side USA> U Just have to inform them. THey may ask for a deposit or a credit cardd with enuff funds.

Also they cost around 75 dollors a week( imeant the L lens's.)

Others are around 35-60

Hoope this helps

U may want to get the 50mm f1.8 ITs a great portrait lens. It will find great use in India.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:37 PM   #7

Since you're going to be taking pictures of daily life, I think you should be fine with the 17-85 lens. If that's not enough zoom you can always crop the picture. I also assume this will not be a short trip, in which case the amount of money to rent the lens may be quite a lot. Perhaps you should consider buying another lens if you really need it for other reasons.
bakaroni is offline   Reply With Quote