Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:27 AM   #11

wrams,
I am comparatively very new to the DSLR world so I have been going through a large learning curve on many fronts. Using the 30D with the 120-300 2.8 has been my latest challenge. Though most of my shots have been freehand, I have had greater luck, so far, using my mono-pod. I can't imagine not having it for certain situations though that may change over time. The shots that I achieved with the 120-300 range from terrible to very good and the latter are happening more and more often. I have never used the other lenses discussed above but you are certainly getting advice from some excellent/knowledgeable photographers. Their other postings and links have proven extremely valuable to me. I have made several purchases based on some of these and believe the proof of their wisdom/experience has made my learning curve shorter than what it otherwise would have been.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:06 PM   #12

Thanks Guys,

Steve, "Mark," is always very helpful and gives great advice...Better watch it though his head will become "Big" ifwe keep praising him up like this....Still i always think when i'm his age i'll be that good...Lol...........I'm 36 at the moment....!!!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 2:58 PM   #13

With 52 just around the corner for me, I more than likely have a few on Mark . . .
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:26 PM   #14
Super Moderator

:blah::blah:LOL.... you both have a few years on me :blah::blah:

I'm 'only' 31 but just look old, I really shouldn't have taken a paper round in the Himalayas when I was a child!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:58 PM   #15

It's that beard mate...Makes you look 37...Lol
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:04 PM   #16
Super Moderator

I know, when I was 19 doing my first teaching practice in a school one of the parents thought I was 33..... don't need to tell you how quickly that went.

Nowadays it depends when you catch me if I have one or not as I work from home about 80% of the time.

Did you manage to get out and take some shots today? I'm just working through the 4 games I shot and will post a couple.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:12 PM   #17

No didn't get a chance..I think i told you the other day i was building a Wall..???

Well, the cement was still Green (Wet) and then 2 days later 90mph winds decided they didn't like the Walls and blow them both down even though i had put peers in...So today has been clean up and start again......

I will though as soon as i get the chance.."Promise"

Theres a local Football team in Knowle West and they play across the road from me and are quite good...
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:14 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Wall building..... fun lol, no don't think you mentioned it.

That sounds cool, getting involved with a local team is great practise and can bring in some extra cash if you can get some good shots (that's what got me selling my work).
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:16 PM   #19

How would i go about selling and pricing pics up or aren't i aloud to ask that in these forums...????

If not "Sorry Steve"....
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:23 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Well make sure your work is good enough first so you are happy to make money from it (I don't use my initial work, and I'm not overly happy with some work that is on the web for sale but now it is so old I just leave it there as no one is ordering it). Then have a look at what other people are selling for (pricing is on my site and I'm regarded as cheap - take that as you will), and after that work out how you are going to get people to view and order your work. There are sections further down Steve's Forums for this sort of thing but the guys here will give tips on what we do. I have business cards which I pass to the visiting teams or most competitors if doing something apart from hockey. I also get into the programmes for car events if possible and get them to announce my details over the PA. I also offer my work free to the websites of the teams who visit, or events I'm covering as long as I get a link back to my site (that has proved very good). Before you start advertising prior to or even at events you need to make sure you are going to have work available that is good enough to sell.

Learn the skill first before worrying about making money from it otherwise it will become work and not a hobby.

Oh by the way the wind here is terrible so I guess it is heading your way so not sure what is going to happen to your wall lol.