Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:17 AM   #1

I've been researching more and more and finally decided just to ask. I have a 30D on the way (being shipped right now) and am looking for a lens to buy in the near future. I like taking pictures of cars/motorcycles both stationary and moving. I also like taking still photos and action photos of anything and everything. What lens under $500 or so would you recommend? And would IS be helpful?
rockstarb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2

for moving subjects, IS will not help. IS helps in preventing any shake due to the equipment and not subjects

The only lens i can think of for that range is 70-200 F4.

For 1000u can get 70-200 F2.8 Macro(Sigma) or 100-300 By sigma,

50-500 would be a great all purpose lens. Great reach, and greater flexibility.

Another lens i would recomment for that cost is 70-300 APO DG. Its around 150 bucks and its more lens for the money

Aroun 500 u can alos get a 200mm F2.8 Prime lens.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:13 PM   #3

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
for moving subjects, IS will not help. IS helps in preventing any shake due to the equipment and not subjects

The only lens i can think of for that range is 70-200 F4.

For 1000*u can get 70-200 F2.8 Macro(Sigma) or 100-300 By sigma,

50-500 would be a great all purpose lens. Great reach, and greater flexibility.

Another lens i would recomment for that cost is 70-300 APO DG. Its around 150 bucks and its more lens for the money

Aroun 500 u can alos get a 200mm F2.8 Prime lens.

Vj
Sorry, but that is a nonsense attitude. IS is a great help when taking action shots. Even when following action, an IS lens that supports panning is a dream to use. Subject motion is a bane to action photographers, and has to be treated with a certain respect, but it isn't the black and white plague of action shooting.

You still have to deal with camera shake, along with subject motion when taking action shots. Compound errors are just that.... compound errors. In some sporting situations, camera shake is the most annoying culprit in degraded IQ. Many people champion a non IS lens for sporting events, but they are cheating themselves (IMO), and are simply justifying buying a cheaper lens now, rather than buying a much better lens a little later.

IS is very valuable in action shooting, and is a no brainer for most any other type of shooting that you might attempt.

Yes, it costs quite a bit more, but you will be better off saving a little longer for the right lens, than getting a far more limited lens now, and spending the next few years high fiveing other people on the net who made the same mistake.

Go for IS every time it is offered in the range you need unless you are limited to studio work. Yes, the non IS lenses can offer outstanding optical quality, but none of them can bring the universal benefits of IS to the table. Don't cheat yourself by spending a grand on a non IS lens, when an IS version is available. Go for the extra cost, even if it means a longer wait.

IS does action photography very well. Just look at the photographers snapping pics from the sidelines of any pro sports event if you need evidence. IS erases camera shake, and only leaves subject motion to deal with. Don't leave home without it....

Volk
Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:59 AM   #4

Well right now I'm trying to stay under $500 maybe $600, I'm a college student so for me that is a lot of money right now :sad: but i don't want to stick with the kit lens until I can afford to pay $2000 on a lens. I'd save up for the $1000 mark but need tires before then and that's what the 4 or 5 hundered dollar gap has to cover.
rockstarb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:45 AM   #5

Pick the best lens you can afford with your current budget,car is a highly reflective surface, check the store for a polarized filter availibility for that lens diameter size.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote