Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

I shoot with a Canon 20D and a 70-200mm 2.8 lens. I have a close friend in college that just bought the Rebel XT with the 18-55 kit lens. She will purchase a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 when she can save enough money but will need a cheaper alternative for now. She is considering three lenses as of now. They are:

Canon 75-300mm f4-5.6

Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6DI II LD

Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro

I saw some input on the Sigma in another thread.She knows that all are entry level or less expensive lenses and will upgrade As soon as she can. The Challenge is she will be shooting action in stadiums with shadows during parts of the day . Does anyone have experience with any of these lenes or another suggestion to get started? Do any of them have any advantages over the others?

Thanks for your input! It will be appreciated!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:14 AM   #2

Yeah, that's me Trique Daddi is referring to. Any advice would be much appreciated. As he mentioned, I am a college student who only makes around $200-$300 each paycheck, so anything that's somewhat low budget but would still get great results would be awesome.
orcaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:50 AM   #3

For a limited budget I'd pick the Sigma 70-300mm with a battery grip for a better physical balance and to keep the camera on for long games.

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/Sigma70-300.html
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:32 PM   #4

I saw some input on the Sigma in another thread.She knows that all are entry level or less expensive lenses and will upgrade As soon as she can. The Challenge is she will be shooting action in stadiums with shadows during parts of the day . Does anyone have experience with any of these lenes or another suggestion to get started? Do any of them have any advantages over the others?

Honestly, for action u need ur camera to be at around 1/500s shutter speed atleast. And all these lenses are pretty slow. A fast f2.8 lens is what u require. But the cheapest is around 800 dollors.

I have seen people getting decent shots with 70-300 APO. And when u ask them, they say few keepers over lots of wastage. So its not impossible, but a tough difficult with the sigma or any of the lens u mentioned

but off the lenses 70-300 APO DG is the best buy.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:15 PM   #5

Trique Daddi wrote:
Quote:
The Challenge is she will be shooting action in stadiums with shadows during parts of the day .
Can you be more specific about what type of action and what type of stadiums? That may help determine what focal length and aperture are likely required.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 5:21 PM   #6

I would be shooting killer whales and dolphins performing. I'm also interested in wildlife in general, so anything that would capture fast action and movement. I have been informed on the f2.8 lenses, but unless I can work out a payment plan, I doubt I would be able to afford one by June which is when I plan another trip to the park.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:03 PM   #7

you can freeze slow action at 1/60 if the light is too low and moderately fast action at 1/200
that's what I do.

1/500 is definitely better - but not a must
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:38 PM   #8

Attached is a shot from a Jets game shot with a Rebel XT with the Sigma 70-300 APO.

This was taken at the Meadowlands, nosebleed seats - about 10 rows from the top, so I needed the range.

I shot it at ISO 400, 1/80 f5.0. Not as sharp as you'd get from a better lens, but decent overall. As an earlier commenter indicated, my ratio of keepers to junk is probably not as high as I'd get with the 2.8, but I do get some good shots.

For the price, the Sigma's a good value.

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:44 PM   #9

Sorry - forgot the picture.
It's at http://www.flickr.com/photos/graubart/387430135/

BTW - it was a night game, but well lit.

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:29 PM   #10

Thanks for the visual, graubart! I've read some reviews on the lens, and it looks to be a fairly decent lens considering the price. It should hold me over until I can afford a 2.8.