Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:47 AM   #21
NHL

O.S. wrote:
Quote:
the lighting was quite poor and I had to shoot with ISO 800 and shutter 100 which gotten me a bit worse results then ISO 400 and shutter 200 the last time. The ceilings were very high to bounce the flash. The direct flash did not really give me what I was looking for. I guess I need to make myself a "better bounce card" with some foam material.
Why can't you increase the aperture to f/8 (@ 1/100 or 1/200s) or higher and let the flash do the work? :idea:

There seems to be plenty of light (i.e. the bright background)... Contrast/sharpness (MTF) usually increases with lighting - Right now it doesn't look that your flash is working too hard...

-> Also @ the shutter speeds you're using, the resulting softness may be due to the movements of the subject (from ambient light), and not from the flash (the absence of any shadows on the floor).
May be a Lumiquest or another 'softbox' that do not rely on the tall ceiling can help: http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:21 AM   #22

I ordered myself a Lumiquest Promax today.
the next event is on February 16th. I'll test the new bouncer there.
Thanks NHL ... I have been looking at ProMax for a long time now .... I hope it's worth the money .
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:03 AM   #23
NHL

BTW another indication that your flash is not working too hard are the three 50mm f/1.8 (twice as fast, but shot @ f/2.8) images that you posted earlier - Judging by their telltale shadows:

-> The lighting was actually coming from the sides or back probably from a different camera(s) and not yours (unless your flash is off)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote