Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 28, 2007, 6:13 AM   #1

Howdy,

Ive been researching a new DSLR setup for a few weeks now, both online and in-stores. I had all but settled on the 400D "enthusiasts kit" along with the 430ex flash as a good all round package to start my journey back into SLR photography after a quite a few years pointing and shooting a G5.

However after reading a post somewhere (might have been here) about the lens reviews at photozone.de... the enthusiasts lens gets a mediocre review there. http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...6_is/index.htm

My requirements would be for general life pics - architectural, streetscapes, landscapes and general indoor & outdoor happy snaps of the family. That might be a pretty broad scope for just one lens, but given that im only starting up this hobby I would like to start with just the one good quality allrounder, for now. The thing that concerned me most about the review was the pic showing the radial distiortion of the tall building at full-wide. That would be quite a typical pic for me - bold straight lines and lots of geometric composition using buildings / bridges etc...

Given that i could easily buy just the body and then the lens of my choice, is there a lens similar to the EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM that would give less radial distortions for my architecture / streetscape shots? Or is the distortion over-stated in that review?

Im at a pont where id be happier spending a the extra money up front rather than buying the thing twice so a few extra dollars wont be that big of a deal, provided its the right fit for me. Image stabilisation for handheld shots would be a plus for my shaky old joints...

Any advice from the clever folks that reside here would be much appreciated.

Cheers
pragmatichack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:25 AM   #2
NHL

pragmatichack wrote:
Quote:
Im at a pont where id be happier spending a the extra money up front rather than buying the thing twice so a few extra dollars wont be that big of a deal, provided its the right fit for me. Image stabilisation for handheld shots would be a plus for my shaky old joints...
Then the 17-55 should do the job better and also sharper too...
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...5_28/index.htm

... otherwise the Sgma/Tamron are also better in distortion than the 17-85, but not as good as EFS 17-55, but for the lower cost of course: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_1750_28/index.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:33 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Or you could get the 17-85 + DXO Optics pro for considerably less money than the 17-55.

Most of the time you won't be disturbed by the distortion, but it's fairly easily correctible in software.

Not trying to dissuade you from getting a more expensive lens, but the 17-85 has a nice range, image stabiliser, pretty good image quality. It's a nice all-rounder.

The other lenses NHL has mentioned are optically better, but slightly less versatile.

No perfect solution I'm afraid, everything is a trade-off.

I have been very happy with my 17-85 + DXO.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:30 AM   #4

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Or you could get the 17-85 + DXO Optics pro
You know i might just do that. Sensational.
Thanks for the brainstorm guys.

Happy snaps.
pragmatichack is offline   Reply With Quote