Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:07 AM   #1

I'm pretty new to the SLR scene, hence my question. My 135mm, f/2.0 lense has a switch, which from what I understand, allows you to change the minimum focusing distance. I am using the lense to shoot sports. What effect does this have on my form of shooting, if any? Doesthe settingmatter if I am not shooting objects very close, or am I off base altogether?

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2

Chris, the design is to help prevent the lens from hunting from one end of the focus range to the other. I don't recall, off hand, what the 2nd option sets the minimum focus distance at. The lens will tell you. Let's say for giggles that it's 10 feet. What that means is if you set the switch to that mode it will assume any subject you are trying to shoot is outside of 10 feet. So if your subject moves within 10 feet the lens will stop focusing. Again, I just threw out the 10 feet - I don't recall what the actual value is for the 135. Whether or not using the limiter is useful to you depends on how confident you are that your subject will always be beyond that limiting focus distance. If so, the feature is nice as it decreases the likelihood of your camera focusing on something very close and when the lens does have to 'hunt' it won't travel the entire focus scale during the hunt - only part of the scale.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:28 AM   #3

Can you specify which lens, especially brand name?

For example, I notice no difference with my Canon 100mm Macro (and other lenses) other than autofocus speed. Either setting is just fine, but for the fastest autofocus using the more distant setting is best for non-macro shots.

However, with an old Sun 70-210 zoom, it will only focus close when in the macro (close)mode.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the explanation John. The lense came with the switch set to the closest focusing distance and I haven't changed it. Does the 85mm you use for basketball have such a switch, and if so, where do you have yours set?

hgernhardtjr, the lense is a canon.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:57 AM   #5

Nope - the 85 does not have it, but my 100-400 DOES. It should say right on the lens switch 0 to infinity for one option and X to infinity for the other. What does it have printed on the lens for that 'X' value?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:38 AM   #6

The lense is at home and I'm not, so I'll look tonight.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:39 PM   #7

The "X" value is 1.6m. I guess I should change it to this setting since I can't see needing to focus a sports shot with a 135mm lense at less than 1.6 meters.