Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:53 AM   #1

Hi! This is my first post

I would like to buy Canon 1.8/28 USM or Sigma 1.4/30 as a standard lens for Canon EOS 350d. I would like to ask anybody to help me. Which lens is better?
Marrtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:10 AM   #2
NHL

IMO the Sigma is better (and a ~stop faster too) :idea:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_14/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...8_18/index.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:22 AM   #3
Super Moderator

The Sigma is a nice lens for sure.

I own the Canon 28 f1.8 and it's pretty much my favourite lens. I have it on the camera all winter.

When I purchased it the Sigma had not yet been released.

Many people get very hung up on MTF at maximum aperture, but to be honest I really don't find that to be a relevant consideration for this type of lens; the reason is that the depth of field is so shallow that the viewer's expectation of a sharp overall picture is reduced. As long as you can nail the focus on the area of interest the relative sharpness of the in-focus plane will give the appearance of a sharp lens. And as with most lenses, if you stop them down there is plenty of sharpness there.

At any rate I have printed many A4 prints from shots where the aperture was f1.8 and a few at A3 size. Never had any issues about needing extra sharpness.

On a crop camera it is a fast normal lens with an effective focal length of 45mm.Ilove the USM - it is certainly the fastest focusing lens I have, and that is very important for me because this is my snapshot lens. In winter I am usually using it wide open.

The only real advantage it has over the Sigma though is that it is a full-frame lens if you fancied hanging on to it after an upgrade to a 5D or similar.

Another personal preference is that it is a touch wider. My favourite focal length for a "normal" lens is an effective focal length of about 40mm - so I should really be using the 24mm f1.4 L, but as I shall soon be upgrading to an XD I shall be going for the 35mm f1.4L at that point.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:34 AM   #4
NHL

I tend to agree peripatetic that the 28 f/1.8 USM is a better choice if you need to upgrade to a full frame camera in the future

However buying a 'digital only' lens for the 350D, such as the 30 f/1.4 HSM, has many advantages other than just the better MTF's (contrast/sharpness):
1. It's a stop faster
2. The CA control is better
3. An equivalent f/1.4 full frame is bigger, weight (and also cost) more
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote