Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:57 PM   #11
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Oh yes you should!

But you know what would happen then? You'd just start thinking that you should get the Canon 1200mm to complete the right side with Canon.

That's what I thought too... any hobby is just a BIG money pit! :?

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:07 PM   #12

one other note, if you turned the focus ring while it was still set on auto focus, even though you have the switch set to manual, you may have damaged your lens. This is probably why it was so stiff to begin with, now that you have turned it a few times while the focus ring was still set to auto, it has loosed up, but also probably ruined your lens.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:49 PM   #13

The Zoom ring was stiff in the store, before I bought it. I vowed to return it if it didn't loosen up a bit, and it has.

RE: focus ring -- I have never tried to MF when it was in AF (the switch). Not that I remember anyway. Now if moving the focus ring with out pulling the ring forward backward first damages it, well that's a bunch of crap, and they should put warning labels on the box!
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:35 PM   #14

quote from this thread: http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php...READ_ID=378379

"I don't trust Sigma so I wouldn't buy it but that's just me. Tamron lenses never have compatibility problems with bodies but Sigmas have to be rechipped for newer bodies. The investment in photography is usually the lenses so I'd rather one that's gonna last."

This is the kind of statement I've heard before and wondered how relevant it may be to the issues I've personally had with Sigmas.

Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:38 PM   #15

Well I have several Sigma lenses, and have had nothing but good luck with all. I also have several Canon lenses and one Tokina lens, Can't say that I have a bad one in the bunch, all work great, and I'm getting ready to add a Tamron 200-500mm to the group. I believe for the most part any lens maker is very capable of producing a bad copy of any one of their lenses. On the other hand I believe Canon, Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, and I'll throw in Nikon are all very capable of producing very good lenses also. As far as Sigma putting warning lables on the box, the paperwork that comes with the lens explains pretty well about the focus ring sliding forward and backwards from auto focus to manual focus.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:33 PM   #16

ok now I'm home and see everything's working fine once I had the correct focus ring engaged. I always read manuals to electronics, I just figured lenses were self explanatory....mmm, crow tastes pretty good.