Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1

After 22 years I have recently come to the realization that one day I will be dead. This is the most wonderfully motivating fact that I have ever know...In lew of my latest discovery I am taking a cross country road trip to Los Angeles, stopping by St.Louis then Colorado, and stopping by many national parks and natural wonders along the way. After that I will be flying from LAX to Costa Rica where I will be in the town of Tamarindo for a week on a Surf/Photography trip. My goal is to take some quality photos and market them for sale when I return to my home in Virgina.
I recently purchased a 20D with a Canon Ultrasonic 28-105 and a 75-300.

My main goal will be landscapes/scenery and surfing photos. Would you guys recomend a 600mm lens for the next piece to add to my kit with these goals in mind?

I would also greatly appreciate any tips for protecting my camera from theft while on the road/beach. Thanks so much. New lease on life Nick.
Attached Images

speezdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:26 AM   #2

Regarding the protection of your photo equipment, I can give you my 2 cents!

(and this is speaking of experience, unfortunately !!)

1. Make sure you close your car properly

2. Hide the equipment as much as possible

3. Take a good insurance which would cover the loss in case somebody is really determined to break in your car...

Have fun during your trip!
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:34 AM   #3

Not so much on the lens stuff.. but I love the Japanese maple shot.. Love that tree

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:26 AM   #4

Speezdout......
So you have hit the old "mid life crises".... And want to do something before the lights go out...hummmmmm.....I know how you feel....
Surfing shots......I have been shooting surfers for about 10yrs...Started with the 1 mega pixel, 500mm Sony Mavica...I have since progressed through all of Canons digitals...Yea, the wife cringes when I mention the word Canon....All of my surfer shots have been here on the east coast so I can get away with around 300mm with a 1.4x converter....
Right now I am having good sucess with the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L with the converter...
With the 1.6 conversion you have with the 20D and the converter, I have a little over
400mm...Good enough for the east coast sandbar breaks...BTW, I do have the 75-300mm Canon lens...Not the best lens but good enough for webpage shots...
If you plan to do Costa, you will need a longer reach...I have a friend that goes a couple of times a year and he told me he is looking at a 300mm L lens and possibly the 400mm L lens...The break is just to far for the 200mm even with the converter...My advise would be to get at least the 300mm and a 1.4 converter...I dont mention the 2x converter because I have heard of auto focus issues with it, but if you manual focus, you wont have a problem with the 2x...I recommend the L lenses also...Better glass, better pictures....
You mentioned selling the shots...Don't go spending money thinking you will make money....Surfers are poor...Magizines have their own staff photogs...People wont buy a photo with a surfer on it....Maybe a nice aqua color wave, but no surfers...Trust me, I know...You would be better of coming home to Va and going to the outter banks and taking lighthouse pictures to sell...
One more thing.....I have a website with about 500 surfing shots on it if you would like to take a look...This is the link to what I consider my best shots....

http://sports.webshots.com/album/38821674XonxTi

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips guys, especially John at the beach, I like the surf shots. I love going down to hatteras anytime there is a nice swell. I caught the last nice NothWest windswell that blew through a couple weekends ago when it was like 70 degrees outside, we scored bigtime head high barrells. Here is my favorite shot from that magical day.
Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:55 PM   #6

Great shot Speezdout....
I love where I live but Hatty is a favorite anytime...Good luck on your cross country treck....
:|
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:49 PM   #7

the landscape shots might be your best bet for selling photos, and the long lenses won't do you much good there. Need to think about something wide if you have lots of cash to spare the Canon 16-35mm L is a good choice. the Sigma 12-24mm or Tamron 12-24 are also pretty good choices. As far as protection for your gear. You might think about insurance. Not just included on your homeowers policy, but a seperate rider for your camera equipment only, make sure if covers your equipment where ever you are and that you have replacement coverage. I have what they call an inland marine policy, because I do get paid for some of my work. The seperate rider on you homeowers policy will not cover your equipment if you get paid for your services. My policy is a little more expensive though, about $480 per year, but that also includes liability, and covers all my equipment for just about everything including terrorist attack, I hope I'm safe from that though. You can get a supplimental policy added to your homeowers policy for next to nothing though and if you are not doing it for hire that should work.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:09 PM   #8

Good call on the insurance Caboose. So, would you say that a wider angle lens is more standard for shooting landscapes and such than a telephoto?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:46 PM   #9

speezdout wrote:
Quote:
Good call on the insurance Caboose. So, would you say that a wider angle lens is more standard for shooting landscapes and such than a telephoto?
yes, for landscapes you need the wider field of view from a wide angle lens. Your 28-105mm is on the 20D is the equivalent field of view to a 45-168mm so at the widest angle you are about what would be concidered a normal field of view, or what the human eye sees. No horrible for landscape, but to really capture the wide open spaces you need something wider.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:57 PM   #10

Ahhaa thanks for breaking it down like that for me. I googled some images shot by the 16-35 L and they are awesome looking. I think I am going to go ahead and buy one before this trip. Are there any reputable used lens dealers you can recommend?