Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:57 AM   #11
NHL

JohnG is quite correct and usually you get what you pay for...

The new EF 70-300 is indeed a sharp lens as opposed to the older 75-300 with similar features which is not (The Sigma 70-300 APO is a better buy there); However to control cost, this lens has several design drawbacks: It's not made out of metal (good for people who like lightweight), but this material tends to get loose over time. The front element also rotate which could be a pain for some users with CP filter.

Up another notch is the Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX - What's the gain?
Like all Sigma EX series this lens is made of real metal. It has internal zooming so the zoom does not extend or retract (and s_uck in all the dusty air). It's also has HSM, which is the ultrasonic equivalent of Canon's USM. i.e. the drive is direct so there is no internal reduction gears to slow down the motor. The best part here is it's an f/4 (f/4 is twice as bright as f/5.6) hence the higher costs:
May be someone can justify this way -> It's like getting another lens because when coupled with a 1.4x teleconverter it can get the reach of a nice wildlife lens for extra $. You can't really do this with the others 70/75-300 since they are already @ f/5.6...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:59 PM   #12

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

Is that the lens that you guys are refereing to?

Or this one http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

What is the APO, what is the difference.
lilboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:04 PM   #13

I am also a poor college student.

First, I bought the Rebel XT with the kit lens, then bought the Canon 50mm f/1.8, then recently got the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro.

These 3 lens are all I really need and can afford for right now, and they work great.

Eventually, I will spend a lot more on quality lenses, but I can't right now. Plus, I'm still learning, so I might as well learn on inexpensive stuff.
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 5:22 PM   #14

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

this is the one everyones referring to.

and APO is

"APO (APO Lens)
In order to attain the highest quality images, the APO lens has been made using special low-dispersion (SLD) glass and is designed to minimize color aberration."

So they did something to the glass. The price difference is too low for anyone to choose the non APO version.

http://www.pbase.com/argylemonkey/lens_comp

You can also search for70-300 in pbase gallery. U will get an idea about the lens

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:53 PM   #15

For low cost lenses, Sigma is a good choice, better build, cheaper than Canon. The Canon doesn't come with a lens shade. I tried the Sigma & Canon in the store, the Sigma is more responsive inlow light than the Canon. They don't have the APO version, the non APO is impressive, so far the initial test at home in the backyard is quite satisfactory. When going into a more specific shoot, spend more money for a better lens. Maybe after college and have a good job, quality Canon lenses, the sky the limit.

Best Buy price is way too high.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:54 PM   #16

For low cost lenses, Sigma is a good choice, better build, cheaper than Canon. The Canon doesn't come with a lens shade. I tried the Sigma & Canon in the store, the Sigma is more responsive inlow light than the Canon. They don't have the APO version, the non APO is impressive, so far the initial test at home in the backyard is quite satisfactory. When going into a more specific shoot, spend more money for a better lens. Maybe after college and have a good job, quality Canon lenses, the sky the limit.

Best Buy price is way too high.

Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote