Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:39 PM   #1

I rented the 70-200mm lens for the week, that is a heavy duty lens!!

For anyone having this lens, could you tell me what the 1.5m and the 3m

button on the outside of the lens means? Going to try my luck at some

boys basketball this weekend, any tips on using it for that purpose?

Thanks so much!
lakeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:29 PM   #2

It's a focus limiter. When set to 3m it won't focus on a subject closer than that. For objects close to you the focus motor travels quite a bit for just a little bit of distance (i.e. when a subject moves from 30 feet to 27 feet the focus motor doesn't have to move much but when a subject moves from 6 feet to 3 feet that's a fairly big movement). So the concept is designed to keep your lens from hunting/focusing all the way to one end.

Unless you're shooting college basketball you're going to have some problems getting good results with a 2.8 lens. If you have a 20d/30d plan on using ISO 3200. If you don't then plan on having too slow of a shutter speed.

Here's a thread I put together on tips for shooting basketball. Hopefully it will be of some help to you:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

Enjoy your new lens!!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:55 PM   #3

John,

Do you find the 135mm or the 100mm Canon lens better for taking basketball

pictures since I can't get on the floor of the gym?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:20 AM   #4

lakeida wrote:
Quote:
John,

Do you find the 135mm or the 100mm Canon lens better for taking basketball

pictures since I can't get on the floor of the gym?
Both are excellent lenses - which one to use depends of course on your distance from the court. I would think the 135 would give you more leeway but it's almost 3 times the cost of the 100. The question is: are you ready to plunk down another $1000 on another lens?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:07 AM   #5

How much did you rent it for and where.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:33 PM   #6

I rented it from an online service called ziplens.com, I paid 65.00 for one week.

That includes shipping both ways, there are a lot of other lenses to rent on this

site, very fast service.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:36 AM   #7

To Canon lens experts, Nikon VR vs Canon L glass:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"true/false, maybe, kind of, nonsense?

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...00JyOM&tag=
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:22 AM   #8
NHL

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
To Canon lens experts, Nikon VR vs Canon L glass:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"true/false, maybe, kind of, nonsense?

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...00JyOM&tag=
You can not compare Photozone results between Nikon and Canon MTF's!!! :idea:

Photozone use a camera to test the lenses and their Nikon data are the results of a higher resolution camera (D200) hence all their Nikon MTF's plots are generally higher than that of the Canon's and not necessarily the lens - Theses results also vary with the construction/processing within the respective camera (Nikon/Canon) systems (and they clearly stated that): http://www.imatest.com/docs/lens_testing.html

Quote:
You cannot measure a lens in isolation. It is a part of an imaging system that includes the camera's image sensor and RAW converter (which may sharpen the image), or film, scanner, and scanner software. Hence,

* Measurements are relative. It's difficult to determine an absolute number for the lens alone. But you can accurately compare lenses on similar cameras.

* Camera and RAW converter settings, especially those that affect sharpening, noise etc...
i.e. Nikon lenses (even their kit lens) are not better than Canon's :lol: :-) :G

BTW Photozone results also match Photodo which test the lenses in similar fashion so pay attention to the camera which was used to test the lens - They both use Imatest for their tests which utilized ISO images captured from a camera to measure the MTF's. This method BTW is more accurate that Canon's own MTF which are theoretically computed plots (not measured) which have less to do with actual variance in the manufactured finished products.

-> Within the same family brand the MTF's are more accurate and are still valid - i.e. For Canon, the same Xt camera was used for most of the lens tests although I did see some result from 1D camera - You can't expect MTF results from the same lens on a 1D to be equal to that of an Xt (since the resolutions of the cameras are not the same!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote