Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1

got an event soon and choosing between these two tele lens. anybody have experience with these lenses? thanks
balmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:57 AM   #2

I recently got the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro lens for $199. I have a Rebel XT. For the price, it's a damn good lens.

Here are some sample shots I have taken with it:

elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:32 PM   #3

Thanks for posting those, elduderino. That's actually the same lens I'm looking into buying for my XT. How well does it do with action?
orcaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 3:13 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Neither lens will give a fast focus but will be acceptable in most situations. If you are looking at the Sigma APO lens then that is the better (just) of the two, if it was just the DG then get the Tamron. I used both options on my Konica Minolta and have played with the Sigma on my Canon. One thing I do like about the Tamron over the Sigma is the front element is larger which psychologically makes me believe it is a better lens. I also think the macro distance on the Tamron is slightly closer if that is something you are interested in.

What do you want to be using the lens for as this might mean you need to consider looking at something else? You mention action and you might find the lens not bright enough to get good results but jest depends what you need. There is however a large jump in price if you need something more geared for action.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:09 PM   #5

Mark-

I really respect your opinion and your photos. They are great.

Can I ask what is the next step up from the Tamron 70-300mm that might be more appropiate for sports or fast action.

Thanks!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:19 PM   #6

im just looking for DG. thanks for the tamron recommendation mark.
balmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:16 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Sarah, it is a painful step as it means getting something which focuses fast and is bright also..... you guessed it, it won't be cheap. Realistically you would be looking at (lowest through to highest IMO) Canon 70-200mm f4, Sigma 100-300mm f4, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 70-200mm (both with and without IS) andSigma 120-300mm f2.8. I have also managed to get acceptable results with the Canon 100-400mm L IS but it is not really bright enough as it is f4.5-5.6.

I did shoot sports for a couple of months with the Tamron but soon realised I needed to switch to a f2.8 lens and the Sigma was my choice (70-200). When I switched to Canon from Konica Minolta the first lens I got was the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. When making the change from a 'standard' telephoto zoom to the higher spec lens the difference was really noticeable but it does not mean that for a lot of people the results would be good enough. It is only that my work was going to news papers that I wanted something better. I hope soon to get the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 which will be fantastic.

For the ultimate quality then the Canon 300mm f2.8 prime is choice but for me I don't fancy not having zoom (probably not a good enough photographer), the results from this lens are just fantastic, even with a 2x telecon.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:43 PM   #8

Mark-

Thank you for your comments. I am seriously considering the Canon 70-200mmL. I believe in the long term that it will be my best bet. I really appreciate your help.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote