Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:17 PM   #1

Hi to All! I'm a new member, have been very exited the past several days since I decided to go back to my photography hobby from years ago.

I have pretty much settled on the 30d camera, but need to make up my mind on the lenses. Both wide and macro are a must for me since both allow for very cool special effects like shots. Plus I need a standard walk around lens. I decided to skip the telephoto at first.

So my main contenders are:

1) standard walk around: Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L
I was considering the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 but after reading several stories where reviewers complained about build quality and dust coming into the lens I decided against it

2) macro: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

3) wide: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Here the Sigma 12-24 seems very interesting (because of good reviews and more compatibility than the EF-S) but it starts at 12mm, not 10

In addition, the 3 are reasonably priced. Please advise and help with your suggestions,

Thanks a lot

zgredek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:25 AM   #2

You've picked some great lenses. My only concern is that 40mm is really short for a walk-around lens (even on a crop camera). I have the lens and would find 40mm too short as my walk-around. Of course everyone is different.

As far as dust coming in the 17-85 - that's a new one on me. I honestly don't know what people do with their equipment - I have the 28-135 as my walkaround - it is a telescoping lens so I would guess it would be more prone to dust than most lenses but I've never had a problem. I also have the infamous 'dust pump' - the 100-400 and again I've never had a problem with dust and using that particular lens. I honestly think there are just too many people that don't know how to change lenses and stand in the middle of a dust storm or on a beach and swap out lenses.

Having said that - no doubt the build quality of the 17-40 is better than the 17-85. But for a walk-around I would probably want mor reach than 40mm. YMMV. Still, not a bad lens in the bunch,.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:02 AM   #3

Hi John,

Thanks for comments, I was actually concerned myself about 64 (=40*1.6) length being a bit too short.

Here is the link to the 'dust issues' on 17-55:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rToReadReviews

Maybe i shouldn't be worried with that...
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:09 AM   #4

By the way I misread - i thought you were considering the 17-85. I would suggest that lens over the 17-55 - better performance and more reach.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:41 PM   #5

So the 17-85 is better than the 17-55? you could also give the Sigma 17-70 a try cheaper and optically better than the 17-85.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:49 PM   #6

Excellent camera choice

I'd hold off on buying anything for about a week unitl the PMA show http://www.pmai.org/index.cfm/ci_id/1198/la_id/1.htm runs.

That is one of the 2 yearly shows where all the new whiz bang cameras and accesories are announced.
You never know what is just around the corner.

As for walkabouts I like my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, or 19-35, I waffle between which one is mounted when I go out.
A lot of times now I just take a plain old fixed 50mm, it helps to force myself to see :-)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 8:17 PM   #7

Thanks again for comments.

I was wondering, is the Canon 17-85 IQ really good? It's been getting mixed reviews, from what I've seen.

Peter, do you use a 1.6 factor camera? It seems that ideally one would have 20-50 range in the standard lens for a 1.6x camera. I appreciate your advice to hold off for a couple of days. There might just be something interesting around the corner.

Paul
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:18 PM   #8

I have an old 20D as well as full frame, although it is the 20D that tends to go wandering with me. I like its smaller lighter size and lower cost if something bad happens. :-)

I suspect the focal length range you want for walkabout is more a personal thing.

I have a friend who has a 10-22 glued to his 20D camera.
I think on the 20D I wander around with the 19-35 more often than not.
Again it is nice and short, easily fits inside a coat in winter.

Ya lenses running in about the 20-70 range seems to be pretty good for general purpose use.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:11 PM   #9

If you intend getting the wide 10 -22, then I reckon you would be better off having a 24 - 105 f4 L as a walk around. I think there was a slight problem regarding flare with the early ones, but I reckon it's a super piece of kit.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:49 PM   #10

Gypsyrico, I really like your suggestion. The following will make a nice combo to go with 30d:

1) 10-22
2) 24-105 f4 L
3) 100mm 2.8 macro

What do you guys think about the macro lens I have in mind. Would it make sense to get a lens with a greater focal length than 100mm?

Also, I feel a bit stupid for having missed the canon rebate which ended 2 weeks ago or so. Is it reasonable to expect that the market will correct itself, ie that prices will drop in the coming weeks by the equivalent of the rebate amounts? Or should I just accept the fact that I screwed up?