Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:17 PM   #1

HI

The camera came with the standard lens. I dont know if it will meet my needs but dont have alot of money to spend right now

I will be taking pictures of kids youth wrestling tournament, the furtherst I would be from the mat is 6-10 foot if that.

I would like to use auto on my shots for now till i get used to it.

will the 18-55 work? SOme shots I would want up close of there faces.

If not what would be the best and most affordable for the time being and what would be my goal lens?

Thanks

Kikididi
KikididiRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:16 AM   #2

Unfortunately, it's going to be difficult to achieve what you want. You're absolutely not going to be able to use the kit lens without using flash for these types of photos. And with just the on-board flash you're going to have issues with red-eye. But, more desirable solutions will cost money. So, for now, you need to use the flash. I can't say how well it will perform - I've never tried to shoot any type of action with the built in flash. I still don't think it will work well in auto mode because your ISO will be limited to 400 which means the camera would need quite a bit of light output from the tiny flash to get a proper exposure. You can try it, but I don't have high hopes.

A very affordable lens to invest in is the 50mm 1.8 - it's only $75. And it will be much better than the kit lens for this type of thing.

I will say you're going to want to get low - which means on your belly - for the shots. And you want to wait for a pause in the action and there seem to be plenty of pauses - just make sure you get faces.

Eventually, you'll probably have to invest in an external flash - gym lighting is usually very poor and with faces pointing downward and dark mats, it's very difficult to get a proper exposure.

So, here's my recommendation - buy the 50mm 1.8. Try some pictures with the flash in auto mode and post some results in the sports forum and we can help you from there. You'll probably need to get out of auto mode to get decent results but we'll deal with that after you've tried a few shots.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:18 PM   #3

Thanks John

Hey I used to have a Lumix that I used(it sits in closet now) SO i can use manual , But I need some idea what kinda of setting to use.

Also I can afford more than $75 right now, so do you think the SIgms 70-300 or what ever that has been posted lately would work better for more zoom?

Please advise

Thanks

Kikididi
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:49 PM   #4

No, the sigma 70-300 won't help.

Really I think the 50mm 1.8 will be the best lens choice without a flash. The challenge is, a lens with a 5.6 aperture WONT give you fast enough shutter speeds. They will also be too slow to focus. The Sigma 70-300 is very slow to focus.

Here are the setups I would recommend:
  • Start with 50mm 1.8[/*]
  • Another prime lens possibility is the 85mm 1.8 - it's much faster to focus and for little kids it might be a good focal length - when I shot high school kids a couple weeks back it was a bit tight.[/*]
  • The recommended setup is a 70-200 2.8 lens (around $850 for sigma's version and $1100 for canon's) or 24-70 2.8 lens (here, the sigma lens falls short - it isn't fast enough tofocus - Tamron makes a 28-75 I think but Ihaven't seen any indoor sports shots from the lens nor talked to any sports shooters to use it to know how it performs)and an external flash (430ex would be sufficient)
[/*]
And while I shoot a lot of sports, wrestling hasn't been a big sport for me, but I will say I think the external flash is an eventual must. I shot wrestling in the same gym I shot basketball in and the exposure on the mat was more than a stop BELOW the exposure when basketball was played - again because of the mat and the faces being more in shadow. I had to spend a good amount of time recovering detail in shadow area.

Here's a link to the photos I took using a 20d and 85mm 1.8 (set at ISO 1600, f1.8 - f2.0 and 1/250)

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=82

Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:28 PM   #5

is the 50mm Canon Brand?

whats a good slave flash?

Thanks Again.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:32 PM   #6

The 50mm is a canon lens. So is the 85mm 1.8

I personally have a sigma 500 dg super flash gun. But, after seeing and using a friend's Canon 430EX I really like the build quality of that flash. It doesn't have as much power and not as many manual settings but I've gotta be honest - I've never used most of the features the sigma offers. For people that get into multi flash setups and do more manual setting of flash power the sigma is a great flash. But if I were buying again I'd probably get the Canon 430 ex. Either of these two flashes will work well and they are both around $200 I think.

But this isn't a slave flash it's a hotshoe mounted flash (you could use them as slaves but i'd recommend keeping it simple and mount them on the camera. The key is you want a flash capable of ettl - you don't want a purely auto flash.

Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:00 PM   #7

Hey John

If I try manual with this new 50mm lens could you please suggest manuel settings for me to try? Still stuck with my autoflash but gonna give kids wrestling state tourny a try this weekend.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:35 AM   #8
NHL

As long as the flash has E-TTL(any brand), the camera will still expose automatically even if you've set the camera on manual!
-> In fact this is the best way to use the flash since you'll have control over both the aperture and the shutter. In any of the other automatic modes the camera will pick either the shutter, aperture or both which may not be suitable for your kind of shoot...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote