Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:51 AM   #1

Hi All

Just going to purchase a 5D to replace one of my 30D's we currently use. I am wondering if any fellow photographers would ever consider using a 30mm lens for any portrait work typically weddings. I used the 30mm on my 30D which provides very good results but I am worried by the 5D and it full frame senor. Do you think I would get away with it or should I consider buying another lens which is an expensive option.

Your guidance would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steven
stevensalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:43 AM   #2
Administrator

You'd get vignetting (at least at wider apertures) trying to use a Sigma DC series lens on a 5D. They're designed for APS-C size sensors and won't project a large enough image circle if you try to use one on a camera with a larger sensor or film size.

I've seen users report getting rid of the vignetting at longer focal lengths and smaller aperture settings with some of Sigma's DC series zoom lenses on a 35mm film camera (and your 5D's sensor size would be roughly the same). But, you'd probably have to stop down the aperture pretty far trying to use something like the 30mm f/1.4 EX DC lens on camera with a larger film or sensor without significant vignetting.

I'd stick to lenses designed for your 5D's sensor size (i.e., those that will also work with 35mm film cameras).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:50 AM   #3

Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply and you are totally right. Purchased the 5D which was required and tried the Sigma lens. Bucket loads of vignetting as described. Oh well looks like I am on the hunt for an alternative portrait lens. Any recommendations for the 5D. Need something reasonable fast although I would accept something like a f2.8.

The f1.4 Sigma lens cost me over £319 a few months back which was fine for the 30D but no hope with the 5D as Jim describes. Looks like I will need to sell this lens on and go for something different.

Many thanks in advance.

Steven
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:35 AM   #4
Administrator

If you liked the angle of view you had with a 30mm on a 30D, why not get an inexpensive 50mm for your 5D? You can pick up a 50mm f/1.8 for around $100 (or go with a brighter one if you need it).

You'd have roughly the same angle of view with a 50mm on a 5D that you got with a 30mm on your 30D. Remember, you need to multiple the focal length of a lens by 1.6x if it's used on a 30D to see what focal length you'd need on a 35mm camera (or a DSLR like your 5D) to get the same angle of view (apparent magnifcation).

You have a wider angle of view for any given focal length on your 5D compared to your 30D. A 50mm lens would be the closest replacement on a 5D if you want the angle of view to stay the same as you had using a 30mm lens on your 30D.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:59 AM   #5

Hi Jim

Thanks for the advice and guidance. Yes I would be more than happy with a 50mm and at f1.8 would be ideal. I still need to keep a tab on the glass quality though. My sigma lens is the only one in my kit back which breaks my 'all Canon rule'. I will pop into Jessops this evening and take a look around and try some out.

ThanksJim

Steven
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:17 AM   #6

It'll be interesting to see what you choose.

Canon has many nice options for their full frame sensor cameras (including some very nice "fastglass") - the standard 50mm f1.2, 1.4 or 1.8, the medium-tele option 85mm f1.2 or 1.8 or a wide-normal 35mm f1.4 or 2.0.

Many nice options for Canon full-frame shooters depending on your preferences & budget.

:|

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:58 AM   #7

Ok shoot me down for this but after playing around with a number of good lenses I fell in love with the Sigma f/2.870mm DG Macro. What a fantastic piece of kit. Suitable for Portrait and has the added Macro option. I know it's not thefastest in the world butcertainly suitable for what I am looking for. As an added bonus Jessops took back theSigmaf/1.4 and did a straight swap and did not even charge me the extra £20.00. That's why buying from a high street retailer is an added advantage. What excellent service!

I will have a play over the next couple of days and then post some pictures. My understanding is that this is a fairly new lens to the market.

Thanks for your help chaps!

Steven
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:25 PM   #8

stevensalmon wrote:
Quote:
Ok shoot me down for this but after playing around with a number of good lenses I fell in love with the Sigma f/2.870mm DG Macro. What a fantastic piece of kit. Suitable for Portrait and has the added Macro option. I know it's not thefastest in the world butcertainly suitable for what I am looking for. As an added bonus Jessops took back theSigmaf/1.4 and did a straight swap and did not even charge me the extra £20.00. That's why buying from a high street retailer is an added advantage. What excellent service! . . .
Back in the daze of yor, when I shot full-frame (ie: film), my principals were a 90mm f2.5 Vivitar Series 1 Macro (ie: portrait) on 1 body & a 24mm f2.8 (ie: everything else) on another. Plus a seldom used 50mm 1.8 in the bag.

Funny, I really NEVER felt deprived . . .

Best.

:|
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote