Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:29 PM   #1

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums. I have a 30D with the 18-55mm lens.I'm looking to buy 2 new lenses.One as a general walk around lens and the other a zoom for wildlife. I think I've pretty much decided on the Canon EF 100-400mm IS USM for my zoom. However, I haven't decided on a walk around lense. I have been looking at the Canon EF 24-105mm IS USM or Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM. Has anyone actually used these two lenses and have any pros or cons about them? Or any suggestions for another lens I haven't considered? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

StormyMooN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:14 PM   #2

Well, I have the 28-135 as my walkaround lens and am happy with it. But, the 24-105 is a better lens - you get better build quality, better image stabalization and a constant f4 aperture. No doubtthe 24-105 is the better lens. But, of course, you're paying almost twice as much for it.

The only question is - will 24mm be wide enough FOR YOU as a walkaround lens. With my style of photography I don't take as many wide angle shots as others - I have a 17-40 for when I want to - but you may be different.

Also, here's another thing to consider. Do you ever plan to go to a larger sensor size - like a 5d (or it's successsors) or 1-series? If so, then IMO lenses like the 24-105 are a good investment because they will work on a full frame body. If you never plan on going up to a camera with a larger sensor, there are some great sharp lenses that cost a lot less than the $1000 the 24-105 costs that were designed for aps-c sized sensors. So, while you'll give up some of the build quality (those lenses are typically plastic) you'll actually get a sharper lens for less money.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:21 PM   #3

StormyMooN wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums. I have a 30D with the 18-55mm lens.I'm looking to buy 2 new lenses.One as a general walk around lens and the other a zoom for wildlife. I think I've pretty much decided on the Canon EF 100-400mm IS USM for my zoom. However, I haven't decided on a walk around lense. I have been looking at the Canon EF 24-105mm IS USM or Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM. Has anyone actually used these two lenses and have any pros or cons about them? Or any suggestions for another lens I haven't considered? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I have the EF 24 - 105mm f4 LIS and IMHO think it's a super piece of kit, it's well built and not too heavy, it's also nice and sharp. If you intend keeping the 30D, I suppose it might not be wide enough for you at times, but only you can decide that as you know what you shoot most, and if you got the 10 - 22 say, that maybe wouldn't be long enough for you.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:47 PM   #4

I've owned both of these lenses and can say that while the 28-135 is a nice affordable, sharp lens to get started with, you will likely never be sorry if you can afford the 24-105 L lens.
RGRDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:53 AM   #5

I really hadn't thought about stepping up, if I did it wouldn't be for some time. As for wider I was looking at the Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX 12-24mm.

I do some landscape and wildlife and alot of the kids and grandkids. Iwant good lensesthat are going to last . I've found the 100-400 for $859 and the 24-405 for $609.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:14 AM   #6

StormyMooN wrote:
Quote:
I've found the 100-400 for $859 and the 24-405 for $609.
If those are supposed to be new, then it's a scam. Even if it's used, I'd be very careful - a good version of the 24-105 shouldn't sell for just 60% of it's original value.

So unless it's a very good friend I think you'll be getting scammed.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:43 AM   #7

Here are the links:

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...73&start=1

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...33&start=1

What do you think?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:59 AM   #8

these guys are thieves, be careful

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1805-p9-s1-d1.html
zgredek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:16 AM   #9

zgredek wrote:
Quote:
these guys are thieves, be careful

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1805-p9-s1-d1.html
Thank you so much, I was getting ready to order from them when I read the reply above, yours just confirmed it. Thank You again.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:37 PM   #10

Two vendors who are fairly reputable and reliable are B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) and Adorama (www.adorama.com).

While you might find a better offer, it probably won't beat those two by more than 5%. If it does, it's probably too good to be true. It's also good to check the contents of what they're selling. I've seen sites offering to sell configurations that the manufacturers don't allow in the US, so they're clearly selling gray market or worse.

BTW - Sometimes Adorama is cheaper by phone than on their website, so it's worth a call.

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote