Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:11 PM   #1

i'm going to spend three months in africa and am looking for two affordable (think student :G) lenses. i want a decent all-purpose (indoor/outdoor, day/night) wider-angle one and a reasonable telephoto (up to 300 mm). an excellent camera shop (http://www.nycv.com/) suggested that i buy the standard canon 18-55 lens kit ($100) and the tamron AF 28-300 ($380). thoughts, alternative suggestions, reasons?
:idea:

i need to stay in this price range since the camera itself was a big splurge. it's more important to me to get a better telephoto lens than a good all-purpose although i'd like both to be decent. i should mention that i'm going on safari and want to take wildlife shots. i also have a 7.1mp canon sd500 digital elph for closer shots. i do have good post-processing software (photoshop).

Thank you for your help.

safaribound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:54 PM   #2
Administrator

safaribound wrote:
Quote:
i need to stay in this price range since the camera itself was a big splurge. it's more important to me to get a better telephoto lens than a good all-purpose although i'd like both to be decent. i should mention that i'm going on safari and want to take wildlife shots.
You'd probably get much better results using something like this Sigma (and it's lower priced) for the long end compared to that Tamron.

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens for $199.95 at B&H

Make sure to get an APO version of this Sigma lens if you get one.

That Tamron 28-300mm would be convenient. But, you may not be as happy with it on it's longer end (reports are mixed at sharpness above around 200mm). If you go with the Tamron anyway, make sure to get one of the newer models with XR in their description.

I've seen some XR versions of this Tamron 28-300mm in some lens mounts for as low as $149 (CametaAuctions had them in Minolta Maxxum mount for that price new in the box a while back). But, they generally run more for the newer versions (and user reports are quite mixed, with a number of reports of softness at much above around 200mm).

P.S. Here is a 10 page thread in the KM DSLR forum discussing the Tamron 28-300mm XR AF Lens on a KM body. Some of our forum members bought them at $149. This was not a newer XR Di version. But, it was an XR version (and the specs appear to be the same from what I can see, although Tamron claims newer coatings are used on the newest XR Di versions of it). They also offer some older non-XR versions (which have more differences and generally considered to be of worse quality).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=84&page=1

But, in other lens mounts, reports I've seen have not been as enthusiastic.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote