Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:57 PM   #1

I'm looking at getting a telephoto lens for my DREBEL(350). I would like about 300mm as my old camera had a 10x zoom, which i miss. But I would also like a great lens for people pictures. I take my daughters pictures for modeling purposes. Do i need 2 different lenses? Or can I get good photos with a telephoto/zoom lens?

I've read and read and can't figure out whats a good lens and what one i need. I have to stay under $400. Thanks
momof3b1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:19 PM   #2

The Sigma 70-300mm APO is a good budget lens for portraits, fashion, modeling..., costs a little less than $200,savethe rest of $200for a flash or for another lens laterto cover the other wide end or perhaps a make-up kit for your daughters.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:56 PM   #3

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm.../dp/B000ALLMI8
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:56 PM   #4

Yes, that's the one.

I have the non-APO $139.

Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:12 AM   #5

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:37 PM   #6

I've been looking around and wonder if this one is good for people photos. Headshots to full body. Indoors and out. I'd like a IS lens if possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-300mm...522&sr=8-1

Or should i get the 85mm 1.8 and the Sigma 70-300?

I'm selling my old camera so my limit is now $600.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:27 PM   #7

For people portraits, I'd take the 70-300mm lens, if you'renot confident to handhold a long zoom, the Canon 70-300mm IS is a good choice. I'm not excited about using a prime lens for portraits, it's a good sharp lens but in real life you have to move back and forth to frame the shot, after awhile you'll get tired of it, in some cases you hit a dead end you just cannot move anywhere but the model.

Let say I'm in your situation with a $600 budget, here are what I'd buy:

1/ Sigma 70-300mm APO $200,or eventhe non-APO will do.

2/ A basic Sekonic flash meter $200. Retired photographers can sell you alltheir gear but rarely you see any of themsells you a flash meter,they're most likely to keep it.

3/ I skip the flash right now, I'd use a reflector for quality bounce/fill lighting. You indicated that you have daugthers, you have manpower on your side, you can have one of the girl holds the reflector for you.

I still have $200 left in reserve in case something comes up later, maybe you need a battery grip Canon BG-E3 for shooting in vertical format.

Now, I go back to my new camera XT to test what setting is good for natural skin tone, very important.

All those above, I've already set the stage for action.

With the Canon 70-300mm IS for over $500, I don't have much left to deal, therefore I choose the shopping list above to play my chess game.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:39 PM   #8

Thanks, i bought the reflectors last week. So i'm a step ahead of ya. I already bought a flash. LOL I will look into the flash meter. )
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:10 PM   #9

momof3b1g wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, i bought the reflectors last week. So i'm a step ahead of ya. I already bought a flash. LOL I will look into the flash meter. )
Wattttz? You already bought the reflectors (with an "s"), how many dozen? You think you're ahead of me? Never....just kidding. I use my car sunshade as a reflector, $7 from K-Mart, :G.

Ah...let me guess what've you been dreaming lately? First, your question was about a good zoom lens at 300mm limit for people pictures. Now you already own an arsenal of reflectors, one flash, then you are checking out some flash meter, hmmm....

Your daughters will soon know how to pose in front of the camera, therefore they can pose sombody else, they also know how to direct the light from a reflector, they could be a helpful photographer's assistant..........................bingo.

You need a flash bracket, later a better Canon body, ha ha ha. From Paris to London is a canal away, from a portrait to a wedding photographer is just a few steps away my friend. Let me know when you want to jump into the wedding business, I'll stop you with one hand, the other hand I'll push you ahead.:-)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation