Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:43 PM   #1

can anybody give me some tips on available light shooting. do i need to be near an open window or if no window what is the best way to get a good picture .where does the subject stand in relation to the light? i just got the canon 17-55 and i want to get the best pictures i can .thanks for any help.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:08 PM   #2

Well, for available light shooting you need some source of available light. What that source is depends on what you are trying to achieve. Are you doing portrait shots? Shots of a kid playing, what?

I'm going to suggest you actually try different light sources because they give different temperatures - so experiment with window light, lamps, whatever light sources you have.

I will say you may find a 2.8 aperture isn't wide enough to hand-hold for some shots without IS. Don't be afraid to use ISO 800 &1600.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:31 PM   #3

the 17-55 has is .i am going to shoot a wedding but it's not till june so i am going to do a lot of practice. on the rebelxti custom settings does the long exposure noise reduction have any effect on the image stablization?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:21 PM   #4
NHL

IMO you'll be deceived if you rely on just IS alone for wedding...

It'll make low-light photography possible where flashes are not allowed, but the resulting images can't really compete with someone shooting with a good set of lighting (i.e. strobes/flashes)
-> The DOF @ f/2.8 is just not there for bigger groups (& I'm not even counting saturation or contrast yet). Lighting is key in photography so why do you try to use only available light?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:43 AM   #5

i have read different articles that say that you should not use flash in a wedding because it is a destraction but pictures are so much better with proper flash .i thought maybe there was something i wasn't getting. what setting is best for a good dof for a group shot?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 3:47 PM   #6
NHL

camerageak wrote:
Quote:
i have read different articles that say that you should not use flash in a wedding because it is a destraction but pictures are so much better with proper flash .i thought maybe there was something i wasn't getting. what setting is best for a good dof for a group shot?
Group shots are a big distraction in itself!

-> The problem is how to keep people's focus and the best way to keep people attention is your 1st flash test firing of the shot... and then everyone will look your way (and hope that no one else in the wedding party are also snapping flash pictures from every directions) :-) :lol: :G

Seriuously though the priest is the only person who has a say on whether flashes are allowed or not during the ceremony, but chances are pretty good and more often than not it's allowed (at least most of the weddings I've been to). But after the ceremony you better have your BIG strobes ready for the family pictures. Some large families require staggered staging... so again I doubt you'lll be using your lens @ wide open (except for the rare portraits)
-> You'll need a lot of light here (and DOF) to also get the altar, flower arrangements, etc... and not just the group in isolation :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote