Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:13 PM   #1

I've recently decided on purchasing the XTi and am now faced with the decision of which lens I need to accompany it. My original thought in picking the XTi was that I would be using it for low light concert photography so I will definetly be picking up the Canon 50mm f/1.8 for that. However, as I learn more and more about photography I realize that there is so much more than just concerts and I would like to explore other aspects of photography as well.

On that note, I will be traveling abroad next year and I would like to purchase a lens or two to help me take pictures throughout the year. I plan and taking plenty of urban and ancient city pictures however I am sure I will also take my fair share of landscape pictures. With that said, what will I need for that? I am still learning quite a bit about cameras but I am still not so sure about which lens I can use for what.

So my questions are, what can I use the 50mm f/1.8 for? The other lens I'm looking at is the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6. Is a zoom telephoto a must for what I'm looking to do? And lastly, would it be a good idea to pick up the camera with the 18-55 mm kit lens or maybe the Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0? Or will I just need the Prime and the Zoom or any other combination?

Sorry for all the rambling but I would appreciate any help or clarification I can get. Thanks.
fLthMsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2007, 5:03 PM   #2

I found that for me a 50mm wasn't always enough for concerts, as I sometimes got very close to the stage, so in addition I've gotten a 2.8 Tamron 28-75mm. It's wide enough to get decent shots even when you're right up front, and if you're not you can zoom a bit. Of course, the 50mm 1.8 is preferable if the focal length works for where you're standing!
I seem to be taking good photos even if it's only F2.8.

For a walkaround lens, I'd recommend getting a lens that starts at 17-18mm instead of one starts at 28mm. I'm considering getting the Canon 17-85mm IS.
Ghashul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:41 PM   #3

fLthMsc,

The Sigma 28-70mm 2.8 is a good choice for low light shots, or a walkaround lens.

The Sigma 70-300mm APO $200 is apopular low budgetlong zoom,however you'll soon want more than 300mm, probably XYZ-400mm, using long zoom is very addictive, you always want more.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:17 PM   #4

I think a lot of people, including myself, feel that 28mm for a cropped camera isn't wide enough for general purpose.

If you are planning for urban/landscape, I think a wider angle lens is the right way to go. I'd get the 18-55 kit lens over the 28-70. Once you've played with the kit lens and the 50mm f/1.8, you'll get a feeling of what you want out of a lens.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:27 AM   #5

Using one lens for a while then going from there is EXCELLENT advice. You'lldiscover for yourselfwhat your looking for/ lacking.

If you decide to go for a wide-angle- I'dsuggest looking at the Canon 10 - 22mm or Tokina 12 - 24mm. I like the 12 - 24 as my walk-around, but I'm not much of a tele-shooter, though I do like an effective 75-135mm or so for portraits.

:|

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:10 PM   #6
Super Moderator

There are so many options available now which is part of the problem. However personally my walk around lens is the Sigma 17-70mm which I also had when I was a Konica Minolta user and was so happy with the results I got one as soon as I switched.

I also have the Sigma 10-20mm but would not class this range (be if Sigma, Canon, Tokina) as a walk around is it is too wide with not enough range. I would suggest having this on your shopping list but would agree something starting at 17-18mm is the place to look. The kit lens is probably a little weak so if you are spending hard earned money on a new piece of glass then go for something of higher quality.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:34 PM   #7

Mark, would you consider the Sigma 18-50mm to be of a higher quality than the kit lens for a walk around? As far as the Sigma 28-70, I feel like it would nice to have the lower apeture as it would be easier to use for concerts but from what BoYFrmSpC said, I'm worried that it won't be wide enough for urban shots which I will be taking plenty of next year.

As far as the zoom and prime it looks like I'll be getting the Sigma 70-300 and the Canon 50mm. I meantioned this in another thread but what makes the APO lens so much better than the non-APO?

Thanks again for all the advice.
fLthMsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:14 AM   #8
Super Moderator

fLthMsc wrote:
Quote:
Mark, would you consider the Sigma 18-50mm to be of a higher quality than the kit lens for a walk around? As far as the Sigma 28-70, I feel like it would nice to have the lower apeture as it would be easier to use for concerts but from what BoYFrmSpC said, I'm worried that it won't be wide enough for urban shots which I will be taking plenty of next year.

As far as the zoom and prime it looks like I'll be getting the Sigma 70-300 and the Canon 50mm. I meantioned this in another thread but what makes the APO lens so much better than the non-APO?

Thanks again for all the advice.
Do you need f2.8 throughout for a walk-around lens, I decided not as I have the 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 for wide aperture work so as mentioned the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 is my lens of choice and find it to be very good. The Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 is not a perfect lens by any stretch which is a shame, but neither is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 if I were you I would check out http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.htmlwhich will give you more detail on both.

The only quality performer in the walk around f2.8 (assuming you are talking going out to 17mm) is the Canon option, again has flaws but is a lot stronger than the two above.

As for the difference in APO and non-APO is thatsome of the glass isAPOchromatic basically higher design/build quality giving sharper results with better contrast/colour reproduction through the lens.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote