Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:49 PM   #1

How do the Sigma Lenses 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro and 28-70mm F2.8-4 DG compare with the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Zoom and EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM Zoom?

If given the choice between the two, which would you recommend? I've been told that the Canon lenses were really designed for 35mm cameras and hense not as good as the Sigma's which are for digicams only.

I'm using a Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Thanks.:?:
peterpica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:54 PM   #2

You have been given bad info. Canon and Sigma both make 35mm, (full frame), lenses and digital lenses. I suggest you go to this site: http://www.fredmiranda.com .
They have reviews of these lenses.
Ron

surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:29 PM   #3

You can't really compare the Sigma 70-300 to the Canon 70-300 IS. The Sigma is a budget lens at $200, while the Canon is over $500. I have the Sigma and am quite happy with it, for the price. But I would take the Canon over it in a heartbeat.
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:35 AM   #4

Canon 70-300 USM IS is much better lens, including optical stabilization. Sigma is budget lens, and good one for that money, and quite usable in 70-200 range, even wide open. Have one, would prefer better, but not money for that.

Actually, if you have 500$ add a bit more and consider Canon 70-200L f4. Quite impressive resolution, colour and built quality.
nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:43 PM   #5

Then again the Sigma 70-30mm on an internally stabilized Pentax K10D is a wonderfull lens for the money even at full zoom and a Tam 1.4x TC on it.

When The K10D came out I said goodbye to my Rebel with same lens (Without IS much more problemastic in low light)

And not even a hint of when there might ever be a C 40D... with the 30D now aging.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 7:56 AM   #6

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Then again the Sigma 70-30mm on an internally stabilized Pentax K10D is a wonderfull lens for the money even at full zoom and a Tam 1.4x TC on it.

With all due respect - how is this relevant?

First let's look at why the Sigma 70-300 is only a mediocre performance - 2 major reasons:

1. Soft between 200mm-300mm (and that's without a TC)

2. Slow focusing (i.e. doesn't have HSM)

Please, Hayward, tell us how the internal stabalization of the Pentax corrects these shortcomings?

In truth, I'm glad you are happy with your camera - by all accounts it is a very nice camera. But the concept that internal stabalization suddenly turns a decent budget lens into a great performer doesn't hold much water.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:04 AM   #7

The Sigma 70-300mm is a budget lens, everybody knows that, poeple upgrade from P&S mostly have limitedfund to buy quality lenses, it doesn't mean that they can't enjoy the hobby, therefore the Sigma is a good alternative, let's set that aside.

Now the antishake,:-):-):-)...

I invite Hayward to Canon country to see how we handle the Canon,:-):-):-)

Look at this Canon photographer, he even have two cameras at the same time, one on each hand not on his neck, he barely use his fingers to zoom, he shoot with one hand holding the cameras like toys.

Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:06 AM   #8

...in front of an audience like this

Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:11 AM   #9

...You haven't seen a woman using a Canon dslr with one hand the other hand she grasps the kid.
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:33 AM   #10

Now, let's check to see how's Canon is doing.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/fund...0345794_2.html