Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:17 PM   #1

We are getting ready to purchase a Rebel XTI. I have a post in the "What camera do I buy" section of the forums. We have decided at an attempt to piece together what we need vs purchasing a big kit with junk lenses that will never be used. Our purposes will be - all purpose really (emphasis on kid's daytime sports), with a budget of 1000-1300 dollars.

Comparing the kit lens with canon zoom wide angle ef-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6lens - USA.

Could anyone recommend a way to go here. It looks like to me it's the same thing but one is wide angle. This lens isn't very much at all that much more than getting the kit lens with the camera. I could just get the body and this lens if it would better suit our needs. This lens will be for our walk around type of lense.

Another lens we are getting is the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens, thanks to recommendations from this forum.

Titanium wide angle lens - do these just slip onto the lens we are using?

Thanks

John

airtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Administrator

airtaz wrote:
Quote:
Do yourself a favor, and don't buy into hype you'll see in the Ebay listings showing how great the package deals are including this kind of stuff.

Try searching for web pages with both the words Titanium and Junk in them. You'll find quite a few hits using a tool like Google:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:04 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
airtaz wrote:
Quote:
Do yourself a favor, and don't buy into hype you'll see in the Ebay listings showing how great the package deals are including this kind of stuff.

Try searching for web pages with both the words Titanium and Junk in them. You'll find quite a few hits using a tool like Google:

I'm attempting to piece together the equipment and keep coming acrossed things that may interest us. I'm actually looking to substitute the kit lens that comes with it from BH. If I plan on getting just the body from them, I'm gonna need a walk around to go with the 70-300mm you recommended. The one you mentioned there, wasn't necessarily for that specific lens. I don't really care what it's made of, as long as it servers the purpose.

edit: I was thinking of the Canon zoom wide angle ef-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6lens - USA instead of the one that comes with it. But if something lke this wide angle add-on works for any of the lenses and just connects to what we are using, that would be another option.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:21 PM   #4
Administrator

Most of the wide angle converter lenses like this are designed to screw into the filter threads of a lens with the correct diameter (and different lenses will have different filter thread diameters).

Depending on a lens design, that also means that they'd try to rotate with the front element (some lenses have front elements that rotate and some don't), and can add weight and stress that the lens was not designed for.

In addition, you'll probably have vignetting (dark corners or a tunnel effect) trying to use these types of wide angle converters on many lenses.

You can also significantly degrade optical quality, resulting in chromatic aberrations, increased flare and more.

If you need a wider angle of view, I'd suggest buying a good quality lens starting out at a shorter focal length. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:51 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was thinking of the Canon zoom wide angle ef-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6lens - USA instead of the one that comes with it. But if something lke this wide angle add-on works for any of the lenses and just connects to what we are using, that would be another option.
But that is almost exactly the lens that is in the kit!

Look at the Sigma 17-70, or Canon 17-85.

Or alternatively the Tamron 17-55 f2.8, Sigma 18-55 f2.8, Canon 17-55 f2.8.

But the kit lens is fine, really it is. Buy it, use it for 6 months, then YOU will know what it doesn't do that you want it to and can get another one.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:59 AM   #6

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was thinking of the Canon zoom wide angle ef-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6lens - USA instead of the one that comes with it. But if something lke this wide angle add-on works for any of the lenses and just connects to what we are using, that would be another option.
But that is almost exactly the lens that is in the kit!

Look at the Sigma 17-70, or Canon 17-85.

Or alternatively the Tamron 17-55 f2.8, Sigma 18-55 f2.8, Canon 17-55 f2.8.

But the kit lens is fine, really it is. Buy it, use it for 6 months, then YOU will know what it doesn't do that you want it to and can get another one.
Yeah, I found out that it is the same one. I've been making a list of lenses as I read through these forums. I actually came up with 3 alternatives.

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 DG Compact Aspherical Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS -$249.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras -$389.00

Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens for Select Digital SLR Cameras (USA) - $515 new $429 used (9+ condition)
Mfr Catalog # 9517A002 • B&H Catalog #CA178545EF

Since these look like the same three you mentioned, I seem to be on the right track. Try the kit first? Yeah. If I can't get a solid decision done before I order in a couple days, I will. The people on this board are very experienced at the things I wish to do. If there is an overall opinion of "The kit lens is fine for a walk-around. It's the best available lens in your budget -- but I prefer (this lens for walk-around because...)

I value other people's experience and hope to use it for my decision.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:40 AM   #7

airtaz,

First, you are new to dslr and lenses, get the Sigma 28-200mm lens, it's my favorite run-around walk-around jump-around lens, use it to learn basic photography, later you decide to go wide you can look for a quality 17-XYZmm, or you want to go the opposite direction long range reach you can skip the Sigma 70-300mm and pick something like XYZ-400mm which I'm rigth now, I love the long range pull back a far distant shot with a 10MP XTI.

I'm using the Sigma 28-200mm and got some shots for my portfolio those shots I don't post on the net.

Learn to identify the quality of light, the basic shutter speed/aperture relationship, learn to handle a zoom lens steady, very easy, you can do it in less than the time you think.

Get the XTI body, the Sigma 28-200mm and the battery grip Canon BG-E3, skip the kit lens, save some money for the next lens.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:25 PM   #8

Hmm, yeah..well Coldshot, you managed to bring me back down to earth a little bit. I am a newbie to all of this lol. You also mentioned the battery grip. I never really thought of that, and it's a good idea.

I guess I am trying to avoid being 500 miles away from home at a baseball tournament knowing I should have orderd a dif lens to bring with. The sports stuff is first and foremost, however where ever this summer's baseball sends us in this country, I would like to be prepared for the scenery/landscape shots.

I would expect to shoot at a minimum 1k shots per/week after I get the camera to better learn the different things you mentioned (least til the classes start).

Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:38 PM   #9

airtaz wrote:
Quote:

I guess I am trying to avoid being 500 miles away from home at a baseball tournament knowing I should have orderd a dif lens to bring with. The sports stuff is first and foremost, however where ever this summer's baseball sends us in this country, I would like to be prepared for the scenery/landscape shots.
With sports (especially baseball) being of primary import, I think the 28-200 will leave you wanting quite a bit. It's only 200mm which is too short for baseball (especially since I'm guessing you won't be able to get on the field with a traveling team and being a parent), it's 5.6 aperture and it doesn't have Sigma's HSM (fast focus motor). Now, it might be a great walk-around lens - but it has too many strikes against it to suit your needs for baseball.

I shoot baseball from the field and 300mm is barely enough. Again, still doesn't mean it won't make a good walk-around lens for your other needs but you'll be wanting a 300mm lens for your baseball needs.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:44 PM   #10

airtaz wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, yeah..well Coldshot, you managed to bring me back down to earth a little bit. I am a newbie to all of this lol. You also mentioned the battery grip. I never really thought of that, and it's a good idea.

:-):-):-), you are in cloud nine?

Ok, don't worry, you are lucky that we are in a digital era, no more wasting money on film like the old days when you want to learn basic photography. I remember when I first started I bought a lot of books, spend months to read and reread, I even know what subject is on what page too, then finally I dumped all the books in the trash canbecause I didn't understand a thing. One day I tried to be my own master photographer, I decided to mess around with wet darkroom, I shot with b&w film and figured out that I need a enlarger to print the pictures, I was so broke that I couldn't afford a decent one, so I use the kitchen chimney waiting forever at noon time for "sunny f16" rule.

Try to build yourself a strong photography basic skill, it's like you build a house with a solid base, later you want to add more stories on it you feel comfortable to do without askingcan I do this can I do that? A doctor first learn general medicine later if he want to make more money he'll study moreinto a specialized field, neurology, cancer, skin deseases, heart surgery ...ect. You have a good basic photography skill later you can pick any subject you love to do, such as macro, sports, portraiture, landscape...When you passed that basic stage you can throw yourself in the water and you swim like a fish, what style you want to swim, freestyle, butterfly...is up to you.

Here is some pictures of the Sigma 28-200mm lens, if you have no idea what lens to buy for a general purpose use, buy this lens.

I used a Tiffen polarized filter on it.

Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote