Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:32 PM   #11

Donna,

Also consider the EF-S 60 f/2.8 macro. It is fairly cheap, fast, light, and has outstanding optical quality. It also has a very nice focal length for portrait work on a 30D. As pointed out above, images taken with either lens can be softened to suit in PP.

Volk
Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:33 AM   #12

Q: Best portrait lens for 30D?

A: 85mm f1.2.

:|
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:02 PM   #13

can't afford the 1.2
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:40 PM   #14

sometimes i find the 85mm f1.8on my 5d to have a DOF not enuff to get the face details. There wil be some loss in the detail at 1.8

This shot was taken with Centre point focus on the eyes and i already lost focus wrt ears and even chin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/godvivek/438091999/

I was wondering how would a f1.2 perform with respect to DOF. And how much one would want.

But i would love to own a 85L one day. I tried once of a friend of mine and it was mind blowing. HEAVY for bigger than any 85mm lens i have seen. It looks like a lens with MORE GLASS ..i mean MORRRRRRRE GLASS:-):G
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:05 PM   #15

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
can't afford the 1.2

Ok.

But between your current 50, 100 or 70-200,personally - Idon't see the value in adding an 85mm f1.8. Sometimes too many choices is a hinderance rather than a help. Shooting as much as possible with 1 or 2 focal lengths is a better way to "see" in that focal length.

The zoom mentality (& thedesire/"need"to have lenses covering 15mm to 500mm) has distracted many from ever mastering a lens &"seeing" the shot.

Some of the worlds best photographs have been shot by individuals who have mastered one focal length/lens.

Good shooting & best.

:|
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:42 PM   #16

welll if you are gifted with a certain "vision" any lens will do...your artistic ability will shine thru...very few of those around, myself included. donna
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:45 AM   #17
NHL

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
welll if you are gifted with a certain "vision" any lens will do...your artistic ability will shine thru...very few of those around...
Amen - the truth finally shines through...
This is probably the best wisdom from any posting! :lol: :-) :G

-> It's not what you put in front of the camera (heck even the camara doesn't matter) it's that little grey matter behind the instrument that count.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:46 AM   #18

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
sometimes i find the 85mm f1.8on my 5d to have a DOF not enuff to get the face details. There wil be some loss in the detail at 1.8

This shot was taken with Centre point focus on the eyes and i already lost focus wrt ears and even chin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/godvivek/438091999/

I was wondering how would a f1.2 perform with respect to DOF. And how much one would want.

But i would love to own a 85L one day. I tried once of a friend of mine and it was mind blowing. HEAVY for bigger than any 85mm lens i have seen. It looks like a lens with MORE GLASS ..i mean MORRRRRRRE GLASS:-):G
Well the f1.2 would not get you more DOF, just the opposite you would get less DOF. In the photo you would need to stop down your lens to a smaller aperture to get his whole face in focus.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:28 AM   #19

@caboose

the point i wanted to make was, if for f18.ur suggesting to stop down, imagine f1.2. IF we will be stopping down all the time to say f4 or even f2, why shud we even spend that money on that f1.2.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:04 PM   #20

well several friends have asked me (one today) to take some portraits of their children..so I think I will buy the 1.8