Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:37 PM   #1

... Hi guys. I need advise from more proficient people than myself. I use Canon Rebel Xt and recently got the 100-400mm IS. Shots are not sharp & clear like I was hoping for. I have been trying M,P mode as well as other settings. Also using different ISO and shutter speed as well. Am I just not used to all the different settings that work best? or am I missing something here. A little confussed, but don't want to give up either. I was using a Sigma 70-300 with pretty good results. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :?
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:48 AM   #2

can you post some examples? You don't say what it was you were trying to shoot. Please post UNPROCESSED photos - no cropping, etc. Just resize for the web - and leave the EXIF information intact. It's not possible to give you good recommendations about how to fix your issue without knowing and seeing more details about the subject and shooting conditions.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:39 PM   #3

Don't know if I use the wrong mode & shutter speed.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:40 PM   #4

another
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:44 PM   #5

then I get a better shot. same person.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:44 PM   #6

another
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:29 PM   #7

the last two appear to be in focus. The first two, one silly question. Did u crop this from a bigger picture by anychance??

are u trying MF of AF. Its tough to judge anything atleast to me. Can u take something still and post it here so we can elimate few variables like subject movement etc.

At telephoto end a minute movement of the subject appears big unlike in wide angle. hence may be a stationary object would be easier.

But there may be better advice from better photographers here. I am just a novice. May be u shud wait till u hear from them too

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:36 PM   #8

the last one has good focus. a bit over exposed. just did some highlights adjustment..and it appears to be in focus

also i just did a 200% blow up of the smalll sized picture.. for the quality of the picture u can get from that small example, it does appear to be in focus
Attached Images

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:42 PM   #9

You have a set of pictures from the 100-400 IS lens,however you said you had good results from the 70-300mm lens, can you post some shots from that lens to see the difference. When you use M mode what reference do you set the shutter speed and aperture? A gray card, or something else...
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote