Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:03 PM   #1

:? Let me begin by sayingI am a true beginner. It only took me months to choose the camera and now after reading, researching and trying to learn the lingo I am more confused than ever about lenses. Perhaps if I explain my goals, someone out there is willing to spend a little time and help me with this dilema. I chose to buy the XTI as a learning camera, but the lenses I choose I want to be able to move to an upgrade camera next year after many classes, workshops and picture taking.

I am looking for a few (3) good lenses. Oh yah! Should i get the kit lens or not?

First a lense that would be a great all around lens. I am going on a cruise this summer and will be taking pictures of family and friends at varios sights. Also alot of picture taking on the ship sometimes in low lighting areas. I do alot of cruising and traveling if this helps any. For these type of photos i don't think I want alot of blur in the background. Love to take pictures at varios holiday and family events.

Second, I would like to be able to take photos of landscapes from the ship as we are pulling into ports....beach scenes, mountains, waterfalls and sunsets. I especially would like a lens i could capture people from a distance as well.

Third, I plan on dabbling with portrait and animal photos.

My budget for 3 lenses would be approx $2500 - $3000. I want decent lenses, but I am NO pro! Maybe one day in the very distant future, I will be able to help someone like me!:-)

I do not plan on printing anything larger than 8 x 10 .

Remember, I need lenses that I will eventually move to an upgraded camera. Hoping a 40D will come out or perhaps an improved 5D (as I have read, there seems to be many issues)

And if you can think of anything else I will need to setup my kit...I am open to suggestions and i mean anything....Flash, batteries, bag, lens covers, filters, hoods etc.....

I hope I am not asking to much at one time.

Now I know how people who are not computer literate feel when they want to buy a system for their home!!! Is there any such thing as a buying assistant???:-)

Thanks so much in advance!

SC Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:53 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I would advise that you get a wide zoom range covered by two lenses and add a fast prime "normal" lens for low light work.

Main/Walkaround lens:

1. Either the Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM or

2. The Canon EF-S 17-55 IS USM f2.8.

Telephoto lens:

1. Either the Canon EF 70-300 IS USM f4.5-5.6 or

2. Sigma 100-300 EX HSM f4.

Low-light lens:

1. Canon EF 28mm f1.8 or

2. Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX

The two lenses in the walkaround category are EF-S lenses, and would be usable on any upgraded XXD camera e.g. 40D, but not on an XD camera e.g. 5D. But the smaller image circle digital lenses are much sharper and better for the money they cost compared to full-frame lenses.

The telephoto choice comes down to the better optics of the Sigma versus the convenience (light weight and image stabilisation) of the Canon.

For the low-light choice it comes down to whether you would prefer a slightly faster or slightly wider lens.

Don't forget the software - I recommend Adobe Lightroom + Photoshop Elements to get started with.

Hoods - yes definitely.

Filters (controversial) I wouldn't bother personally, but if you are going to be in sea spray then they might be a good idea.

Flash - I'd go for the Canon 430 or possibly the 580. I have a Sigma DG SUPER and wouldn't buy it again if I could roll back the clock.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:00 PM   #3
NHL

Actually for flash there's a new kid in town:
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...t/341/647.html

You could also buy an all-in-one lens then learn with it and sell the lens with the camera when you upgrade later to a full-frame: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography..._18_250_1.html

-> minimum investment and nothing to lose until you learn more about the intricacy of photography
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:29 PM   #4

Actually for flash there's a new kid in town:
NHL[/i]

Thanks for the link, i will check it out. The reason I want 3 different lenses is two fold. First, to be able to shoot some very important events. Son's Prom, Graduation and our Cruise vacation. Second, I start classes this Summer and they recommended having a good startup kit that should include a Flash unit and at least 2 lenses. I am not worried about the purchase of lenses...just which ones to get. Again, keep in mind I would like to purchase lenses that I will be able to use with an upgrade camera in about a year or so.

My grandfather was a photographer and owned his own studio in NY when I was growing up. I am hoping it's in the genes and I learn quickly because I know I have a passion for taking pictures and I am at a point in my life where I can finally invest time and money into something I have always wanted to pursue.

Please Help Me....I am still confused about which lenses and accessories to choose.
SC Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:26 PM   #5
NHL

In that case you must be sure if you want to upgrade to a full frame such as the 5D or the MrkIII or stay with the next generation of cropped camera like the XTi, because the 'digital' only lenses such as the EF-S or the Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX would have to be replaced...

Full-frame lenses are not only costlier, but like peripatetic said are heavier and not as sharp as comparable 'digital' only lenses:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22570394

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 1:59 AM   #6
Super Moderator

NHL, that new Metz looks very cool.

But it's not a cheap alternative - it costs the same as the 580. So if it's not cheaper it has to be better.

Being a Metz, it probably is.

As to EF-S and upgrades you could hedge your bets. Only get a digital crop lens for the walkaround.

If you upgrade later you will either keep the XTI or sell it. If you keep it you will still need a good walkaround lens for it, so the EF-S stays useful. If you sell it, sell the lens at the same time.

That was my choice for the 20D, now I have the 5D I think I am going to sell the 20D and the 17-85 that I got with it. All my other lenses were FF and can still be used on the 5D.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote