Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:48 PM   #1

Hello!

First of all, sorry for the newbie questions that you folks probably answer all the time!

I am new to the digital SLR arena and have been using P&S cameras.... My last SLR was an old manual Nikon. All my old equipment has been sold.

I have decided to purchase a DSLR and have pretty well decided on the black XTi.

My question is about a beginning lens.... I decided on the Canon XTi so I could have a system that I can build on in the future, and with their being such a vast array of lenses for Canon out there, I am almost certain my purchase will be the XTi. I shoot a lot of pictures with a homemade light box - mainly watches. So first and formost I need a lense that will yield good results of my watches in the lightbox.

Before anything else, I need a lense to shoot the watches.... Will the 18-55mm get me good results and detail of my watches in the box? I use a tripod, and no flash. I have a light set-up. I considered getting the body/kit lense and also adding the 50mm 1.8 - Just wondering if I can get good results with either of these lenses? I'm not doing this as a pro, just something I like shooting, and I also sell some items from these pics. I need something that will do a good job, but I am moreless a hobbiest; not shooting for contests, magazines, or catalogs...

I also considered just buying the body and adding the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro instead of getting the kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 - Perhaps this lenswould suit me better?

I also take a lot of the usual family pics.... Family events, holidays, kids activities, etc. I fully plan to add lenses in the future for these type photos, but like I said, I wanna get the watch thing covered first, and I will add later. Although if the kit lense and 50mm 1.8 will do well for the watches, I would have two descent lens that would do both jobs fairly well???

Again, sorry for the silly newbie questions!

I appreciate all suggestions/advice!

Gene

GeneL74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:06 PM   #2

Did u check the sony alpha. For macro and the kind of fotography u have mentioneda body with IS would be great.

Sadly the KM 5D and 7D are not produced anymore

There is sony Alpha , pentax K10D( with a vibration reduction, weather resistant body and dust reduction).

u shud have a look at these cameras too for the kind of fotography u do. All these cameras are around 800-900 dollors.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:00 PM   #3

The main reason I decided on the Canon XTi was for its more advanced AF features... My daughter is involved in all kinds of after school activities, and I wanted good AF (and plan on getting a nice lens) for these type events. She plays softball, on dance team, soccer, etc. and is talking about joining the cross country (running) team.

My mind is pretty much set on the XTi, just curious about whether to go with the kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 or just get the body and the 60mm 2.8 Macro lens for starts.

Any other advice/opinions would be much appreciated!
GeneL74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:59 AM   #4

for the kind of sports u have mentioned the 50mm or 60mm wont be long enuff unless u can really get close to action. Close as in like 10meters max. And atleast a f1.8 is needed to get enuff speed to stop action. For i guess these sports will mostly be in the lights.

Overall a 100mm f2.8 macro sounds a decent option over others. F2.8 is just one stop slower than f1.8 and its long enuff, does 1:1 macro and a great portrait lens.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 6:42 AM   #5

I can't comment on a macro lens selection for you as I don't do macro photography. But I would think a 60mm lens would be very akward for an all-purpose lens for your normal family stuff. At the very least, get the kit lens to go with it. 60mm on that camera is like 96mm on a film SLR - that's not wide enough for a lot of instances. The kit lens will provide inexpensive flexibility for your day-to-day shots. It's not the best lens but it costs < $100 with a kit so it's still a good value.

The sporting lens we can cover at a later date when you're ready for that purchase - obviously none of the lenses you're looking at are going to be of much use in softball or soccer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:45 AM   #6

If you want a good macro lens for shooting things for Ebay or whatever then try the Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro lens.It is a true macro lensas it shoots 1:1 and you would need an adaptor with the cannon.As for Softball and what not, you will really need a longer lens(a least 200mm but really a 300mm).
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote