Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:05 PM   #1

Hi, I have just bought a new EOS 400d / Rebel XTI as a total newcomer to the world of digital SLR photography. I have a small amount of budget left and whilst I know there are some fantatsic lenses out there I have to restrict myslef at this stage. I have scoured the net and have narrowed down to the following two lenses for the cash I have left to get me started:-

TAMRON 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD MACRO

or

CANON EF 50mm f1.8 MK2

I know to many purists they would probably frown at these but at this stage needs must.

So if you were a newbie which one would you buy??I know much will depend on whether I want to take portrait type or telephoto pictures but this aside what would you recommend?

All input greatfully appreciated. Thanks.

markkfc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2007, 6:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum and let me congratulate you on your new purchase.

You don't mention what lens you have bought with the camera and only youcan decide the sort of photography you are intending to do.

I have not used the 55-200mm but the 50mm f1.8 II is part of my lens line up although I have not used it too much as yet. Even so it is a lovely lens and can give great results from portrait to indoor sports when you are close to the action.

As you are new to the dSLR game might I suggest you hold on (depending on what lens you have) until you know which way your photography is taking you so you can make an educated decision, the worst thing to do is through money away on the wrong equipment. I do know what it is like though, having money burning a whole in our pocket with the possibility of a new lens just around the corner.

If you decide that you want a tele zoom lens then I would suggest waiting to get a little more money together and going for the Tamron 70-300 or the Sigma 70-300mm APO.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 6:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. Yes I am certainly new to things and accept I have a lot to learn - But am keen to do so and have really enjoyed the little I have done so far. I guess what is driving me at this stage is the quite awful reviews the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the pack gets.

On this basis I read in a lot of places that the difference in picture quality between the kit lens and even the 50mm f1.8 would blow me away and I guess I am fairly eager to see if thi sis true.

When people ask what kind of photography wouldI Like to do Iwould like toat leasttry all ranges, from macro to wildlifezoom shots but don't have a money tree!

markkfc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:02 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The kit lens is not great but like any lens it has areas where it is a lot stronger, if you were to use an aperture of f8 you will find results more than acceptable so it is not all lost.

Unless you really need the fast/bright aperture of the Canon 50mm most people will get more use out of a 55-200 or 70-300mm lens, if you were to go for Sigma or Tamron 70-300 then you get a usable macro lens of 1:2 of life size where the 55-200 is only 1:3.5 of life size which in my book is not close enough really.

If you really want to find what is the best way to look for you that is to play the waiting game and see over the next month what you are really crying out for.... the downside of this is you will not get the shots you might have got but it will teach you to use the camera and get the most out of the lens you have.

I'm fortunate as I have a good selection of lenses to play with as follows, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 17-70 DC, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 50mm f1.8, Sigma 1.4 and 2x Telecon, Teleplus 2x Telecon...... be warned having a dSLR will cause an addiction of getting new lenses and it never goes away.... I'm now looking at the Sigma 300-800mm or possibly Canon 400/500mm f2.8/f4 but I also need a 2nd body as backup so it never ends!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote