Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 4, 2007, 1:22 AM   #1

I have been considering a few ∑ macros, and the thing that is bugging me is I can't seem to decide of a focal lenght.

My choices are the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG, the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG, or the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG.

The 50mm is the cheapest, pricewise, they are all constructed quite well. The 70mm is actually the most expensive by $50 usd. I could get the 50mm and a set of Kenko AF pro Tubes for the price of the 70mm.

I'd like to shoot mostly very close macro stuff of flowers and incects, and thus far have relied on a long zoom and cropping to get the macro effect. When I make the jump into a true macro lens I want to pick the right one.

Which would you guys suggest?

Here are a few samples of my previous work...

almo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2007, 3:31 AM   #2

canon 100mm macro is also an excellent options. It has USM and the fastes focussing Macro lens in that range..

Next is sigma 105mm. excellent lens. very sharp wide open and a little cheaper than the canon macro.

For insects atleast 105mm would be great to not disturb them. With a 1.6x cropped camera, i think 105should be good.

Personally i am attracted towards sigma 150mm. But i have a FF and i can never get as close as a 1.6x camera....

of the three u have mentioned i would pick the 105mm sigma. Its a very good lens. If u can stretch a bit more u shud try the canon 100mm..excellent lens. Both are almost same picture quality wise, while one focusses extremely fast compared to the other.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 6:43 AM   #3

For insects, especially those that sting, I would suggest the longest lens possible. You get a better stand off from the subject, and that is less disturbing to them. However, the longer the lens, the harder it is to do hand-held shots because motion is magnified shooting macro. If you have an external flash, it's less of a consideration because of the short flash duration. I would suggest a tripod or flash, or both.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Personally i am attracted towards sigma 150mm. But i have a FF and i can never get as close as a 1.6x camera...
Why do you think the Sigma 150mm macro is not good for a full-frame?
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/180/cat/30

Personally I don't think having USM(or HSM) is critical for macro since you'll be doing 'manual' focusing most if not all the time... I would go for the longest focal lenght one could afford...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 12:33 PM   #5

hey NHL

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i meant that 100mm would be too short for my FF and hence will go with 150mm. I didnt mean to say the 150mm is bad. while hoping he was haivng a 1.6x crop, suggested even 100mm would be good.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 7:30 AM   #6
NHL

almo wrote:
Quote:
The 50mm is the cheapest, pricewise, they are all constructed quite well. The 70mm is actually the most expensive by $50 usd. I could get the 50mm and a set of Kenko AF pro Tubes for the price of the 70mm.
The 70mm is actually a "digital-only" lens, unlike the other macros, so it will be slightly sharper and more contrasty (just like the Canon EF-S 60mm) - The idea here is if it stings or tend to fly away, try to get the longest macro you can afford... to keep the distance!
Old May 7, 2007, 4:20 AM   #7

NHL, Why do you say that the Sigma 70mm macro is a "Digital Only" lens?Sigma normally uses "DC" to indicate that the lens is intended for "Digital Only" use. Even though the 70 works to give crop factor cameras that 100-105 range I see value in that focal length on a full frame for floral work as the 150-180 often do not allow you to get in tight enough. I am considering adding this lens to my bag but you have made me question my thinking, could you rlaborate on your take of this lens.

Thank You
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 6:50 AM   #8

Just went to the Sigma site to check the 70mm macro. It sez for both digital and film:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=5

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 10:16 AM   #9
NHL

Tomsch wrote:
Quote:
NHL, Why do you say that the Sigma 70mm macro is a "Digital Only" lens?
My goof - I just assumed it was designed to go head to head against the EF-S
-> This option surely makes more sense than the Canon EF-S 60mm for upgrade path