Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 5, 2007, 3:10 PM   #1

the original Canon 16-35 2.8L lenses on ebay as of lately.... The prices are certainly dropping.... I guess the new model II is out now and everyone is updating.... Have any of you purchasedthe version II and how did it compare against the original....

I am torn between the 16-35 or the 24-70.... Your opinions will certainly help and Iappreciate your viewpoints.... Thanks in advance....
The Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2007, 8:03 AM   #2

I have the 16-35 and the 24-70 and both are really nice lenses...I tend to use the 24-70 more because I dont shoot wide angles all that much...I use the Canon 20D and the Canon 5D and each lens works really well with both cameras...The 1.6 factor with the 20D gives me a little more with the 24-70 if I need the little extra reach but mostly that lens stays on the 5D for weddings...With that said, I guess you still have a choice to make...Either way, both lenses are excellent lenses...:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 9:34 AM   #3

Thank you John.... I have been reading for months now.... The more I read the more I am leaning to the 24-70 2.8L....
Old May 8, 2007, 9:47 AM   #4

You won't go wrong getting the 24-70...It's a great lens...Others on the forum recommend other brands of the same mm and they may be just as good and cheaper
but I have always used and trusted Canon, so I stick with them...
Old May 8, 2007, 10:09 AM   #5

Same here John.... I have a 30D with a 70-200 2.8L IS.... The 24-70 should fit right in and make a good package....
Old May 8, 2007, 10:47 AM   #6

I have the 70-200 2.8L as well and you are correct....24-70 will give you a great range...
And after you finish paying off little Momma's new "Bling", you know, compensation for buying the 24-70, you can concentrate on the 16-35... :G
BTW, I use a 1.4x converter with the 70-200 when I want more zoom...It works really well...