Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:22 PM   #1

Default Recommended 1st lense for a Canon 10D

I am eagerly awaiting getting a new Canon 10D.
I am totally a newbie to SLR cameras... have much to learn in this area..whether it be digital or film.

Can anyone recommend my first lense I should get. Basically, for starters I want to do some portraits and general photography.
And I am somewhat at a financial cross-roads.

Since I am so new to this I just want to get a reasonable costing lense to allow me to start with this journey of learning I am so eager to take
digital_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:29 PM   #2

In doing some research and looking at some of the other topics,

how does a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lense sound. Will it fit the bill as a good starter lense and allow me do some portraits and other general photography

or is there others that would be more suitable/cost-effective?

Its going to take me some time (learning) to really get anywhere near reaching the full capabilities of the 10D so a pretty sharp all purpose lense would be great for now

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:53 PM   #3

I have that lens and am happy with it. How much do you know about photograpy? I'm going to assume some knowledge. If I confuse you, just ask!

It isn't a very fast lens. If you need to shot in low light, then this will be a problem.

I would also consider getting the 50mm f1.8. Its quite sharp, very cheap and because of the 1.6x crop factor, it becomes a 80mm lens, which is good for portrates. And combined with a higher ISO, can take pictures is low light. I learned the hard way that when you can't use a flash, this lens is invaluable.

The 28mm on the wide end of the zoom might sound wide, but after the 1.6x crop it isn't. If you care about wide, you should remember this. The problem is that wide angle lenses aren't cheap.

Sigma makes some good lenses and some bad ones. Poke around here and see if anyone has said good things about a similar sigma (I think there is an f2.8 which NHL likes.) I'm happy with the Canon, but that is because I just fall back to the 50mm f1.8 when I need to. Not as flexable (it isn't a zoom) but it works.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:29 PM   #4

Eric.... Thanks much. Was alot of help.

I have some knowledge in photography in general but I am no where, whereby I really consider myself a true "photographer". There is so much I do not yet understand yet but in time and practice, I will get better. I am sure I will make many many mistakes but you have to make mistakes and learn from them.

One thing I am just getting familiar with is... the different mount types and which are compatible with the Canon EOS/Dig slr cameras. With that 50mm lens (or any of them for that matter), what exact "model" is compatible with the 10D (and other slr's).
I know I know... this is such basic stuff but I am pretty that much a newbe with slr's. My last digital cam was an Olympus E-20 fixed lens camera

My primary concern is portraits and such, not so much yet wide angle but in due time.....
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:38 AM   #5

Hi,

Try the Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4 Asp. IF.
I bought one yesterday and wrote a mini review in the EOS section of this forum.

It's cheap, app $ 249,00 and performes very well.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:42 AM   #6

Which makes that Sigma Frank Doorhof suggests about $150USD less that the Canon. Slightly less zoom, but faster (making it better in lower light, or at isolating the subject from the background.

[quote"digital_newbie"]the different mount types and which are compatible with the Canon EOS/Dig slr cameras. With that 50mm lens (or any of them for that matter), what exact "model" is compatible with the 10D (and other slr's).[/quote]Any EOS mount lens will fit on the 10D. Many companies make them, including Sigma, Tamron, Canon (of course) and others. The 50mm I was talking about is the one made by Canon. Here is a link to it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh2/con...u=12142&is=USA
It's plastic, which is annoying. But it's cheap, sharp, and light. It does not have ultrasonic motors (USM) but it focuses fairly fast any ways.

Eric
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:09 AM   #7

I would recommend of of the following lenses as your first lens for the 10D, very resonable price, Canon quality with USM, aperture range between F/3.5 to 4.5. Light weight, great results, and very easy to sell when you decide to get better lenses later.

Canon EF 28-105mm USM F/3.5-4.5
Canon EF 24-85mm USM F/3.5 to 4.5

I like the 50mm F/1.4 better than 1.8, much better quality built, plus you get faster lens.

Sigma have some good quality lenses, but nothing compare to Canon AF USM (except some of the HSM comes very close), and they dont have good re-sale value when you try to sell them.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 4:18 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone who posted thus far..... I have been
researching alot of different lenses... and in the process learning alot. But there's more to just research.. have to get out there and take some pics!!! Can't wait
Old Jul 29, 2003, 5:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I like the 50mm F/1.4 better than 1.8, much better quality built, plus you get faster lens.
I agree, but you have to be willing to pay for that. I find that the f1.8 is fast enough and I can buy several replacements before I'm loosing money and should have got the f1.4.

But if you need the speed or need the build quality, I've heard very good things about the 50mm f1.4. Never used it, but it is supposed to be good.

eric
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:10 AM   #10
NHL

I have the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, but if I have to buy again I would give the new Sigma 24-135 f/2.8-4.5 a serious look... 28mm is too tight for the 10D!

The faster aperture will compensate for the IS which I don't find too useful for this focal range... The Sigma might help in not having to swap lens or carry an extra one for that wider angle even (and expose to more chance for dust to get in while swapping)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote