Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 17, 2007, 7:38 PM   #1

Is it possible to shoot sports with this lens? I know faster the better. Any tips for shooting sports with this lens.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 8:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Not used it personally but it sure is possible and with a 1.4x telecon will give you up to 280mm f5.6.

The thing to remember is to shoot most sports at f4 as you are trying to isolate your subject so you want the background as blurred as possible and also frame tightly to assist this process.

One thing to avoid is shooting if the subject is too far away when in portrait (most sports with people lend themselves to this orientation) you want to have the subject fill over half the frame and realistically 3/4 + is desired.

That's the basics for you to start thinking about..... what sports are you considering so more focused (pardon the pun) advice can be given?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 8:30 PM   #3

baseball
Old May 17, 2007, 8:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

JohnG..... calling JohnG...... this one is for you!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:09 PM   #5

That was the lens I used to use for outdoor sports on sunny days until I graduated to the f2.8. It is not going to be a good lens in fading light and just to slow for indoors unless the place is really lit up. Not likely. You will likely have to shoot higher ISO's to freeze the action but on my 30D I was quite pleased as long at the exposure was on. I shot that lens for almost a year before I upgraded and loved it. It is a sharp lens that can produce excellent shots. I personally would recomend getting the tripod mount ring and shooting from a monopod when possible. Just a little more stable that way.

gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 10:52 PM   #6

As stated, it will be fine for bright sunny days, but for late afternoon games when the sun is starting to go down, it won't be fast enough. You're going to want to get the faster f2.8. If the Canon price is out of reach check out the Sigma version, it is on par with the Canon, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in build quality or image quality.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:27 AM   #7

i think u can get away with baseball using the f4. i shot a night game with my 120-300 and 2X at 600mm. at f5.6 it had enuff light to gather as well as stop action at around iso 640.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"And if u can position urself between the batter and the first base, u dont even have to go to 600mm. 200mm on a cropped camera like 30D would be more than enuff..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"my two cents
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:54 AM   #8

Baseball with the 70-200 f4:

as mentioned f4 is fine for daytime. Night time forget it. Heck at dusk I've shot ISO 1600 and 2.8 - under lights you'll never get good enough shutter speeds IMOat f4 below ISO 3200.

Of bigger challenge is: depending on the level of play, 200mm isn't long enough. For little league, it's OK for covering the infield as long as you're on the field. If you're off the field 200mm is too short to get corner to corner (i.e. shooting 3rd base from the fence along first base line).

If you're talking HS level, then you're really in trouble. Shooting from the field you need about 250mm-300mm to get corner to corner (depending on how far off the base line you're required to be). Outfield shots are going to be virtually non existant except the corner by where you're shooting (i.e. the right fielder if you're shooting from the 1st base line).

As Mark pointed out - subject isolation wont be very good with only 200mm and f4 but you can't have everything for only $560 :G

So what level of baseball are you planning on shooting?

F
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 10:32 PM   #9

City league, softball. John not very good towards the evening. I just found out.
Old May 21, 2007, 7:46 AM   #10

OK - for softball, 200mm should be OK for your infield work as long as you're on the field (i.e. just off the base lines). You'll have to pick your shots of the outfielders though.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote