Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 19, 2007, 5:05 PM   #1

i have recently bought a canon 400d and a tamron 55-200 lens, (instead of the kit lens), i am looking for a macro lens to work with this camera, i like to photograph in the main, flowers, i am currently looking at buying the sigma 50 macro lens, for the following reasons,

size, i think that due to the physical size of the lens it would be less prone to camera shake????????????????, than any of the 3 i have listed below,

other lenses considered are the sigma 70 and 105 macro lens, and the tamron 90 macro lens

also i do not want to always have to carry a tripod with me, am i right with the assumption, that this lens would be less prone to camera shake, or not

the only reason, i have not bought the 50, is that i am unsure about the working distance, from the flower, does anyone have this lens, if so what are your opinions of it????????????????????

i bought this camera to improve on my canon s3is macro, as i could get right into the flower, but had a lot of shading problems, as i said i would like to improve, without having to permanately carry a tripod,

all suggestions accepted, many thanks, if you do reply, alan

jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2007, 6:30 PM   #2
NHL

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
.... also i do not want to always have to carry a tripod with me, am i right with the assumption, that this lens would be less prone to camera shake, or not
True - but as you'll find out eventually one needs to close the aperture greatly to get a larger DOF in macro so this makes it even harder to handhold as a result of slower shutter speed require for the smaller aperture
A FLASH will help here, or flashes as it(they) freezes anything
-> and once you've used flash(es) then the longer lenses are no longer an issue because the shutter speed (hence tripod) is not that critical anymore
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 10:18 AM   #3

There really is no substitute for a tripod. It will allow you to work in light that would not be possible otherwise. all the lens you mentioned are good but you've left some really good ones off the list. If you want to shoot sans tripod look at the faster lenses like the Sigma 70 or the 150 f2.5
Attached Images

Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 4:19 PM   #4

If you are not interesteed in shooting anything smaller than a flower, you don't really need a macro lens. Just about any lens that will focus close will do. Here's a shot I did with the Sigma 80-400:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...light=surfnron

Ron
Edit to add that an external flash will help prevent camera motion and reduce the need for a tripod. And don't forget that the smaller the sensor, the greater the dof. So when you "step up" to a dslr, (with it's larger sensor), the dof becomes shallower.

surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 2:31 PM   #5

I just bought the Tamron macro 90mm lens....it is incredibly sharp...rivals my canon L lenses.

Also,come with a $90.00 rebate.

You might want to check it out ,I got mine here:http://www.buydig.com

Hope this helps,

Mike

mike397x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 4:14 PM   #6

thanks to you all for your advice, i am going to go out this weekend to try the tamron lens 55-200 (with macro facilities) i bought with the camera, (instead of kit lens) and i recently bought a +4 diopter?, i am going to test this lot as soon as i find some nice flowers to take

from what i have read, i seem to get the feeling, there is not a great difference between any of the lenses, as i am new to dslr, i have no brand loyalty, i will decide after looking at the results of this weekend, i do like the size of the sigma 50mm, i will have to go to jessops and try it.

as for price, there is not much difference between any of the lenses,

again thanks for your help and advice, alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote