Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 20, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1

Hi,

Thanking people in advance for all the help I have received on Steve's forums. I'm about to purchase a 400d/ Xti and want to buy a telephoto lens to 200mm to complement the kit lens.

Canon, Tamron and Sigma all do a 55-200mm lens and they all come in within £50 of each other depending on the sites you look at.

I've been to a couple of stores, they both say with the Canon branded lens you are paying extra for the branding rather that lens quality. One said avoid the Tamron go for the Sigma, the other go for the Tamron.

Has anyone any experience of the above lenses? If so which is the plum choice?

Many thanks

Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2007, 1:39 PM   #2

Not knowing your skills, what it is you like to shoot or your money situation I am going to toss out a different suggestion. I would look at the 70-200mm f4L from Canon. It is $300 more expensive but it is their top of the line glass. It is one fantastic lens. The difference between 55 mm and 70 mm is about two steps forward. If you are new to this, as your skill improve you will come to appreciate the quality of really good glass. All the experience in the world can not over come poor quality glass.

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying the lenses you mentioned are poor lenses. I have never shot with them. I can say however with some confidence that they are not on the line of the 70-200 f4L or its sisters, the 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L or the 70-200 f2.8L IS.

Good glass, if properly cared for will last you a lifetime of camera bodies. Just some food for thought here.

Here is a link to the lens I mentioned.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Autofocus.html
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 2:26 AM   #3

Ooh many thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately it's a little out of my price range...for now. I'm just starting out in dSLR-land and want something to learn with...and then if I enjoy it I'll trade up.

Thanks again though
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 4:17 PM   #4

i am also new to this dslr stuff, so i am not capable of givingyouadvice, i have not had to much time since i bought my camera (400d) and lens, but if youlive in the u.k., i bought the tamron 55-200, from fotosense, (online)i live in bolton and went to their shop to buy it, i got the lens and hoya filter for the small price of £85, obviously without postage cost, if you are from the u.k. and have a jacobs near you they were selling the same lens and filter, £79.95 for the lens and £11.50 for the same hoya filter

hope this is of use to you, alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote