Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 28, 2007, 8:44 AM   #1

Hello! I'm looking for a good Canon EF lens for my dad. He has a Canon Rebel XTi digital camera. He wants to get a light lens. Below is the list of lens that my dad is interested in.
  • Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens[/*]
  • Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Lens
[/*]
Which one is lighter? We assume that Canon EF 28-135mm lens is heavier due to more materials built in.

I am sure that some of you have used one of both lenses and could help offer some inputs.

I look forward to hear from you.

Regards,

andrew
alk073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 12:26 PM   #2

The 28-135 IS is 1.2 lbs

the 28-105 II is 13.1 oz. not really a huge weight difference about 6 oz is all the extra focal length and IS would seem to be a good trade of for 6 oz to me.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3

Caboose-

I have the Canon 28-135mm IS and it does a good but not great job with my photos. Do you have any experience with the Canon 24-105mm L lens? I have been tempted by it, but am not sure. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 1:20 PM   #4

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Caboose-

I have the Canon 28-135mm IS and it does a good but not great job with my photos. Do you have any experience with the Canon 24-105mm L lens? I have been tempted by it, but am not sure. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

MT/Sarah
Well I don't have any experence with the 24-105mm L, but typically the "L" series lenses are quite a bit better than the non "L" versions of the same focal lengths, and of course more expensive.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:43 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Caboose-

MT/Sarah
I shoot with the 24-105mm f/4L IS, as my primary walk around lens. It works out very well for me its not to heavy and it produces excellent images. The F/4 isnt a big deal for me as I dont shoot much sports stuff indoors and outdoors in the sun I can still stop stuff on a dime nice and crisp. IMO this lens is worth the money.
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 5:25 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Sarah - the 24-105L is great on the 5D. Wouldn't use it myself on a crop camera though. Wrong focal length.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote