Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 28, 2007, 12:19 PM   #1

I recently bought my wife the Canon XTi, and she LOVES it! She has had two photo shoots with it, both high action stuff which is what she normally does. One was a tennis tournament, the other a motorcycle cross country race. She couldn't be happier. With her camera, I purchased this lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._EF_S_USM.html

She is pleased with the lens and it takes great pictures. It meets all of her needs, it is fast, good focus, works well in lower light, and the picture quality is great.

I now want to get her another lens with higher zoom. I was looking on the B&H site and noticed this lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ephoto_EF.html

Will this lens work on the XTi? I am still a little confused with lens compatibility as far as DSLR cameras are concerned. The specs on this lens look very similar to the one she now has. Like I stated earlier, if this lens is equal to the quality of her current lens, with the higher zoom it would be perfect. As long as it will work on the XTi.

With the type of shots she takes, I honestly think the 200mm zoom would be sufficient.

Thanks in advance.

dmrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 8:51 PM   #2

First, the lens WILL work on her camera. It might be on par with the kit lens she has, but that's not very good. Would you be able to stretch the budget just a little? Canon makes a 70-200 f4 lens but it sells for about $530. Outstanding lens and much, much better than the lens you're considering. If she thinks the kit lens is fast focusing she'll be floored at how well the 70-200 does. if sports is really her thing, the extra money is more than worth it. The optical quality and focus speed is quite a bit better.

But if you're on a budget, you're on a budget.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 9:54 AM   #3

John,
Thanks for the reply. Is this the lens you are speaking of:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Autofocus.html

You know, I really don't have a budget, but after viewing over the available lens (hundreds of times), the one I listed originally seemed like a good, economical lens. I'm sure that the lens listed above would be a better lens. I guess it is just hard to imagine something that much better that what we just purchased, it is amazing how much better her pictures are after upgrading to the 400D. Plus, she is having a blast with the camera.

If you really feel that the above lens is leaps and bounds ahead, then I just might have to consider it.

P.S. Actually, I didn't order the Canon kit from B&H. She mistakenly order the body only, and I ordered the lens listed in the first post separately. I did not know if it was the same lens as the kit or not. If it is the kit lens, I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation. I know it is a matter of degree. Most people coming into the DSLR scene are blown away compared to the P&S cameras. This is a great combination, especially for the beginner.

Please continue feedback, and thanks!

Old May 29, 2007, 12:38 PM   #4

dmrogers wrote:
Quote:
John,
If it is the kit lens, I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation. I know it is a matter of degree. Most people coming into the DSLR scene are blown away compared to the P&S cameras. This is a great combination, especially for the beginner.

Please continue feedback, and thanks!

You hit the nail on the head. EVERYTHING is relative. The speed, sensor and focus ability of the camera instantly make the 400D and kit lens better than many non-dslr solutions for sports - if you're close enough to the action for 55mm to be OK.

As to the lenses under consideration - yes I believe there is a huge difference in image quality an focus speed between the lens you're considering and the 70-400 4.0. The 70-400 is truly a professional quality lens. It is the least amount of money you can spend for a trueQUALITY telezoom for sports purposes (sigma has a nice 70-300 zoom for under $200 but the focus is too slow for me to say it's a quality selection for sports and the image quality is certainly not in the same league as the Canon 70-200 f4).

In general I'm not a big fan of buying a cheaper lens 'for now' and buying a 'better' lens down the road - especially if you can stretch and buy the better lens right off the bat (sometimes you can't and I understand that).

But as someone who shoots a LOT of sports I can tell you the lens you are considering is not going to be a good sports lens. But again, we get into the 'everything is relative' part of the discussion. Or, maybe I should say 'ignorance is bliss' :G The reason your wife believes her current lens is doing a great job is because she hasn't seen what a quality lens can do.

So, I absolutely don't want to push you to spend more than you want. I believe what I said - the lens you're considering will perform as well as the kit lens is now performing. So your wife may be very happy with it. I just mention that performance is quite a bit below what the 70-200 f4 can deliver (not to mention what some of the other more expensive 'true' sports lenses can deliver). I just think it's a reasonable jump in price to consider. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest a 70-200 2.8 ($1100 lens or the Sigma 120-300 2.8 $2700 lens that I use for sports). Those are overkill at this point. But the 70-200 isn't so much more.

Old May 29, 2007, 7:37 PM   #5

The 70-200mm F 4.0 L Lens is a highly regarded lens, but ifshe shoots a lot of existing light, your wife,might want to take a look at the Sigma 70-200mm EX F 2.8 as a viable alternative.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 7:48 PM   #6

John,
I want to make sure the one you are talking about is the one I am looking at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Autofocus.html
If this is the one you are considering, it does get great reviews.

Let me know if this is the one you are referring to. I just might seriously consider this one. After all, this photography thing really does make her happy! You can't put a price on that.
Old May 29, 2007, 8:03 PM   #7

dmrodgers-

I certainly agree that the Canon XTi is a great entry level 10mp camera. I really do like mine.

Yes, the link you posted on the Canon 70-200mm F 4.0L Lens is the correct one. It is a great lens that evryone seems to love. However, if your wife does a lot of low light level shooting, you might want to consider the Canon 70-200mm F 2.8 lens or the Sigma 70-200mm EX F 2.8 lens.

MT/Sarah
Old May 29, 2007, 8:18 PM   #8

mtclimber,
Thanks for the reply. Brenda does almost all photography outside during daytime. She does photo's of our son's racing and tennis and wake boarding.

Mostly in bright sunlight. The more I look at the 70-200 f4, the more I like it. Plus Canon has a rebate on this lens.

Thanks
Old May 29, 2007, 9:04 PM   #9

Yep, that's the lens.

Sarah is right about the Sigma lens (I have it and it is a very nice lens)but it is around $800 and given your wifes uses, I don't think it's required. I think the 70-200 f4 will give you the most bang for the buck.
Old May 29, 2007, 9:50 PM   #10

JohnG-

I purchased my Sigma 70-210 EX F2.8 lens on E-Bay for $660.00. It is an excellent lens.

MT/Sarah